+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student visa rejected | GCMS Notes| Re application with strong SOP

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
I agree but with my low scores I do not have other options in Canada. But I intend to show what positions I can apply for after coming back to India and what prospects are there after getting a post graduate certificate from a foreign country - Canada in this case
How do you know you don't have a chance for admission to a master's in Canada? you must not have applied to all the universities. I think academic low grades can be compensated with a good work experience. If you didn't do well in your studies and didn't do well at work then chances are slim for getting an admission in a master's program in Canada.

shiraz883

Jan 31, 2019
Hi Shiraz, the points you've mentioned are all great. I'd not want to write about marriage plans though. Start it from scratch, beginning with countering the points on which your visa was rejected. Include a list of jobs that will be open for you in India after you complete your program in Canada. Explain your interest in the program and tell the officer that no such program exists in your home country, or if it does, it does not match the quality and exposure. Talk about the benefits of foreign education in India. You can also write about your strong financial background, and how you (or your family) don't mind investing money if it can lead to a profitable career. Hope this helps.
Do I write the reasons for rejection as mentioned in GCMS notes in my updated SOP ?

sufjans

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
Do I write the reasons for rejection as mentioned in GCMS notes in my updated SOP ?
Yes, you can write that your previous application was refused on the following grounds. Then: Here, I would like to address those concerns and explain why I believe this program is the right choice for me and why it would open doors to multiple good opportunities and career prospects. Then continue addressing every point of refusal.

Reactions: shopnodana91

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
I agree but with my low scores I do not have other options in Canada. But I intend to show what positions I can apply for after coming back to India and what prospects are there after getting a post graduate certificate from a foreign country - Canada in this case

Not necessarily, a really good SOP can offset your bad academics and get you selected into a university. That's what I am doing.

I think academic low grades can be compensated with a good work experience. If you didn't do well in your studies and didn't do well at work then chances are slim for getting an admission in a master's program in Canada.
Pretty much this. Good work experience and good SOP will further improve your chance of getting selected with bad academics.

While yes, both of our bad academics will always hang behind us, the best we can do to offset them is through a professional SOP and professional work experience.
Or to do another program with a good GPA but it will take up 2 - 3 years of our life and considering the level of education in India, would not be worth it.

Reactions: shopnodana91

shiraz883

Jan 31, 2019
I have penned down the SOP or SOE (statement of explanation) if you may call it. I just need someone who could proof read it and give me some good suggestions if there are any shortcomings in it.

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
I don't agree with a lot of what was suggested in this thread so far. Applicants of your age who are graduates with work experience and are pursuing a Post Graduate diploma (not Masters or Phd) have an extremely high rate of refusal. Given that, with your grades, you will have a very hard time getting accepted in to a Masters degree program I don't see how you can overcome any of this with a solid SOP. Whether we like it or not, the PG Diploma is regarded by VOs as an easy route for applicants to enter Canada and stay there. May I ask if you had an immigration lawyer or an agent of some sort working with you on this application?

shiraz883

Jan 31, 2019
I
I don't agree with a lot of what was suggested in this thread so far. Applicants of your age who are graduates with work experience and are pursuing a Post Graduate diploma (not Masters or Phd) have an extremely high rate of refusal. Given that, with your grades, you will have a very hard time getting accepted in to a Masters degree program I don't see how you can overcome any of this with a solid SOP. Whether we like it or not, the PG Diploma is regarded by VOs as an easy route for applicants to enter Canada and stay there. May I ask if you had an immigration lawyer or an agent of some sort working with you on this application?
I am working with the agent (IDP consultants) on this application

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
I

I am working with the agent (IDP consultants) on this application
Unfortunately agents in general seem to be the ones going through with this type of application. In my opinion they should be making it clear to the applicant (with a profile such as yours) that chances of approval are quite low (if not very low). My guess is, they told you that you should have no issues getting your SP application approved.

sufjans

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
I don't think IDP or most consultants even charge money for study visa. They work on direct commissions from colleges, so they mostly invest their time in candidates who they think will be successful in securing the visa. And I strongly disagree with the comment that people with graduation and significant work experience have a low chance of getting visa for diplomas and grad certificates. I, along with three of my friends had applied for study permit last year. All of us were not only graduates but held post graduate diplomas as well. We all had four years of work experience and had applied for graduate certificate programs of our interests. All of us were approved and I think it was only because our SOPs clearly stated our objectives. A good SOP can definitely reverse a rejection, especially because when you reapply, the officer is bound to read your complete application which he could have had overlooked the first time. Don't be disheartened and give it your best shot. All the best.

shiraz883

Jan 31, 2019
Unfortunately agents in general seem to be the ones going through with this type of application. In my opinion they should be making it clear to the applicant (with a profile such as yours) that chances of approval are quite low (if not very low). My guess is, they told you that you should have no issues getting your SP application approved.
Yes they did tell me that you will not have any issues in VISA

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
Yes they did tell me that you will not have any issues in VISA
Very unfair of them to give you such advice. I am just a layman and I could have told you that your chances are very low. But then again, I have no skin in the game and just here to give free advice based on the trends I have seen by following this forum. Shame on IDP for doing this.

Reactions: shiraz883

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
I don't think IDP or most consultants even charge money for study visa. They work on direct commissions from colleges, so they mostly invest their time in candidates who they think will be successful in securing the visa. And I strongly disagree with the comment that people with graduation and significant work experience have a low chance of getting visa for diplomas and grad certificates. I, along with three of my friends had applied for study permit last year. All of us were not only graduates but held post graduate diplomas as well. We all had four years of work experience and had applied for graduate certificate programs of our interests. All of us were approved and I think it was only because our SOPs clearly stated our objectives. A good SOP can definitely reverse a rejection, especially because when you reapply, the officer is bound to read your complete application which he could have had overlooked the first time. Don't be disheartened and give it your best shot. All the best.
If I were to make an informed guess, I would say that 1) your grades were really good 2) the DLI you applied to and got accepted in is well known 3) Your program was well in line with improving your future prospects based on previous education and work experience 4) financials were super solid

For an applicant who has passed a certain age and to be approved an SP based on LOI for PG diploma, the profile needs to be one that is at least an 8/10. This did not apply to the particular applicant in this thread. And here is where I have an issue with the consultants... they know this and should have informed her/him.

Last edited:

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
No. The consultants get commission from the school for each international student application. When you apply to the school, you pay an application fee right? Part of this fee goes to the "consultant" promoting it to desperate students.

They don't care if your visa is approved or not. If 1000 students apply, the school gets application fees from 1000 students. If only 1 out of the 1000 gets a study permit, the school still earns money from 1000 students. These kind of schools that are being promoted by the consultants have no reputation at all, as long as you pay the application fee, you get acceptance into the program.

So why would the consultant care whether you get a study permit or not? They'll earn money no matter what.