+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student visa rejected - Abu Dhabi (HELP)

rom98

Jul 18, 2021
I have been admitted to Universite de Montreal for the Professional Masters in CS program (fall 2021 intake). I am 23 yo, Indian nationality and have lived in the UAE my entire life completing my schooling and bachelors in Electronics and Communications Engineering here. I had applied for the study permit twice from Dubai (CA embassy in Abu Dhabi), first one on April 30th and second on Jun 14th. Both applications were rejected 3 weeks after application. The reasons for rejection are as follows:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of
residence.
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your immigration status.
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the limited employment prospects in your country of
residence.

With the application, I had attached the following documents-
  1. Letter of Explanation
  2. Letters of support from my father (primary sponser) and brother (currently working in Dubai)
  3. Proof of financial status from father in he form of term deposit bank statements from a bank in India
  4. Proof of ownership of property in India
As my program begins in fall 2021, I need to re-apply quickly and would like some suggestions on how I could improve my application?

rom98

Jul 18, 2021
The following is the letter of explanation for my second attempt:

Dear visa officer,

My name is ***, I am 23 years old, Indian citizen and I was born and raised in the United Arab Emirates. I have lived with my family here as resident in the UAE my entire life. I am graduating this June 2021 with a degree in Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Communication Engineering from the Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, Dubai Campus.

Over the last four years of my Bachelor’s degree, I have studied and worked as an undergraduate researcher in the areas of Artificial Intelligence and Deep Learning with multiple published research papers in International Journals (see reference). As a fresh graduate, I am seeking to pursue further studies abroad to learn and better understand these subjects through the Master’s in Computer Science degree offered at the Universite de Montreal. I chose this particular program at this university due to its affiliation with MILA (Montreal Institute for Learning Algorithms), one of the most prominent deep learning research groups in the world. I believe that attending this program will give me an opportunity to interact with and learn from leading researchers in this field. This experience would not only be academically fulfilling but would also give me a chance to contribute to the emerging field of artificial intelligence in my home country. I decided to opt for a program at the Universite de Montreal instead of degrees offered here in the UAE because the intensity of research taking place in deep learning is at a much higher level in Montreal and as a result, I believe I will gain a richer learning experience.

Apart from the world class education system, I have chosen Canada because it is among the safest places to study abroad considering current global affairs. Furthermore, the cultural diversity present in the city of Montreal makes it an ideal destination to pursue my studies.

My studies in Montreal will be funded by my parents. My father, currently a business owner, has worked in the UAE for over 30 years and will be funding the expenses of my program from his savings and work income. I have also received a scholarship (attached with letter) from the Universite de Montreal that will partially reduce the expenses of the program. I also have an older brother, an airline pilot for FlyDubai, who will provide support should the need arise. My parents and brother currently reside in the UAE. Once I leave Montreal after my 2-year program, I will come back to continue living with my family and look for career opportunities in the UAE or India.

As there is a surge in need for machine learning engineers and researchers, I will be able to smoothy land a role back in my current residential country of the UAE or in my native country of India. Upon returning home, I will preferably be applying for a researcher role at the Inception Institute for Artificial Intelligence located in the UAE. The experience and knowledge gained from the Master’s in Computer Science program will give me an edge and enable me to be proficient in my field.

I have attached letters from father and brother which indicate their intentions to provide support for my educational endeavors in Canada. I have also attached proof of housing and property owned by our family in India. I hope the given information will be sufficient to meet the requirements of obtaining a study permit. It is my intention to comply with the student visa regulations (if granted) and return back to living with my family and look for career opportunities in the UAE or India.

Thank you very much,

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Your problem appears to be insufficient funds. How much money did you show, and how much is your 1st year tuition? Did you pay your tuition prior to applying?

You should have gotten your gcms notes after the first refusal. Your best bet now is to defer your intake, apply for gcms notes, and only then re-apply by addressing all the VOs concerns.

Re-apply quickly and you will likely end up with the same result.

Reactions: rom98

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Also, your SOP should have focused on returning to India and your employment prospects there. VO knows Saudi is clamping down on work opportunities for non-citizens, that's why one of your refusal reasons is about employment prospects in your country or residence.

rom98

Jul 18, 2021
Then probably the reason is:

1. You don't have enough financial assets and fund. We're not talking about your father's bank account. Your bank balance is what they want to see.

2. You're not applying from your home country and there's no indication that you'll return to India.

Thanks for taking the time to reply help!

Alright, I'll move around the required money to a bank account in my name. Hopefully, that should satisfy the financial reasoning.
With regards to your second point, do I just mention that I will be returning to India and look for work opportunities there after my studies? I have shown that I have housing and property in India to return to. I'm not sure what else I could provide as proof.

rom98

Jul 18, 2021
Your problem appears to be insufficient funds. How much money did you show, and how much is your 1st year tuition? Did you pay your tuition prior to applying?

You should have gotten your gcms notes after the first refusal. Your best bet now is to defer your intake, apply for gcms notes, and only then re-apply by addressing all the VOs concerns.

Re-apply quickly and you will likely end up with the same result.
Thank you for taking the time to reply and help!

For proof of fund, my dad provided a statement showing that he had around 5,400,000 INR (~91,000 CAD) as term deposits. The tuition fees for the first year of the program is 27,000 CAD. So I was surprised that one of the reasons for rejection was related to finances.

Yeah, I should have read up on the process more. Only became aware of gcms recently.

Last edited:

rom98

Jul 18, 2021
Also, your SOP should have focused on returning to India and your employment prospects there. VO knows Saudi is clamping down on work opportunities for non-citizens, that's why one of your refusal reasons is about employment prospects in your country or residence.
Alright! Will make this change to the SOP.

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
Thanks for taking the time to reply help!

Alright, I'll move around the required money to a bank account in my name. Hopefully, that should satisfy the financial reasoning.
With regards to your second point, do I just mention that I will be returning to India and look for work opportunities there after my studies? I have shown that I have housing and property in India to return to. I'm not sure what else I could provide as proof.
Establish yourself as a resident in India for a few years. VO wants to see evidence. Not your made up story on how you wish to return... Go live in that property that you mentioned that's owned by your family. Prove that that's your home residence, not an investment property that you can sell anytime.

Saurabh29

Star Member
Jan 9, 2021
Bahrain
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Hello Everyone,

I got my refusal today and of course its a painful experience, i have decided to reapply again and couldn't think of better place to get feedback and suggestions from experts. Below is my profile and application details:

Course applied: Conestoga College - Graduate certificate in SCM- 1 year course
Educational Qualification : BBA- GPA 3.86/4 , graduated in 2008 from Manipal University
IELTS Academic : Band 8
Tuition fee: Paid in full , GIC : 10000 CAD
Proof of funds: last 4 month bank statements with Additional CAD 24000 at time of application in Bahrain Savings account
Current Residence: Bahrain since Nov 2019
Nationality: Indian
Work experience: Have been working in freight forwarding and logistics since July 2008 with 3 years in India , 5 years in UAE and currently in Bahrain. Took a career break from Jan 2017 to Nov 2019 - due to family medical emergency and rejoined the same company. Overall 10 years of work experience

Proof of ties to Home country:

- Property inherited from Grand parents: INR 30 Lakh
- Family net worth certificate: INR 2 CR
- FDR in India: INR 10 Lakh

Application timelines:
Applied : 21st May 2021
Biometrics: 24th May
Medical Passed and ER started: 27th June
Correspondence letter and Refusal : 18 th July 2021

Refusal Reasons:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your current employment situation.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your immigration status.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the limited employment prospects in your country of residence.
You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be accompanied by a new processing fee.

I will apply for GCMS notes tomorrow but meanwhile based on above , would appreciate if fellow applicants who received refusal, reapplied were successful can share their experience.

Need Suggestions on below options I have:

1) Go to India and reapply under SDS? I can request my company to allow me work from India for rest of the year. I am assuming , I will still have to declare my employment in Bahrain . Will that be an issue? Should i resign and move ? I guess that would be last resort considering the current situation in India.
2) Reapply from Bahrain the way most Philippines applicant do ? declaring country of residence and application as home country.
3) File a Judicial review? any suggestions on good lawyer and process would be a big big help. Does it help hiring a Canadian Lawyer to review and resubmit your application?
4) Though, I wrote a detailed SOP - with details on my personal background, employment history, educational qualifications, reasons for choosing Canada, course and college along with future plans and prospects in home country. I would really appreciate if someone who has received visa after refusal can share their SOP to understand how to address VO's concerns.

Good luck to all the applicants and looking forward for your inputs.

Cheers

Iveyapplicant

Mar 22, 2021
@rom98 Hey, really sorry for your refusal. Seeing your profile and your SOP, I believe that you do have a good profile, and the course makes sense to me. It is a fact that AI and Deep Learning are at a very nascent stage in both India and UAE, so studying in Canada (where it is more developed), definitely makes sense. Like you, I too got refused the first time around; got an approval the second time. Some suggestions I'd like to make based on my experience :

1. Like most people here mentioned, your finances. What is the cost of your total program, not just the first year? IRCC recently held a seminar in India, where they categorically mentioned that 1 year fees is the minimum they look at. It is highly recommended that you show funding for the remaining course period too. Also, you're applying under non-SDS, where showing funds is even more important. Secondly, you mentioned that your father has shown funds in term deposits. How much has he shown in liquid cash? While term deposits are great, I would definitely recommend showing sufficient liquid cash as well (this is what my lawyer told me when I re-applied. In my case, I showed liquid funds, term deposits as well as mutual funds in my father's name. As for showing bank balance in your name, I think your young age should excuse that. If you were older, then yes I would agree with this being imperative. I'm about the same age as you, and did not show my own bank balance (even though I mentioned I'm earning) because I was not using it to fund my studies. I did however, show mutual funds (about INR 60 lakh) in my name, that had been there for more than 1.5 years. However, I clearly mentioned that the base funding for these funds were given by my father. My contribution to the funds, was investing them in good mutual funds which gave me a good rate of return and thereby increased the funds. I notice that you mentioned that you're planning to move around the required money to a bank account in your name. I really do not recommend that, if you're re-applying within the next 2 months. The VO is not stupid. If you provide bank statements in your name, they have to be for atleast the last 3 months. A sudden influx of funds into your account from your father's account will not bode well, in my opinion. At the end of the day, these aren't funds you have earned. It is still your father's money, only in a different account. However, if you have mutual funds, term deposits of a significant amount that have been in your name for atleast 6 months, definitely show them.

2. Both Saudi Arabia and UAE seem to be going into a phase where they want to hire more citizens for jobs, and reduce their dependence on expats. Rejections by VO due to "Saudization" have unfortunately become quite common. Two of your rejection reasons pertain to your immigration status, and limited job prospects in UAE. Focus on job opportunities post your Canadian masters degree in India, not UAE. Do some research on the scope of AI and Machine Learning in India. I did a course on AI in my last semester of law school in India, so I can definitely tell you that there are increasing opportunities for people with a nuanced knowledge of AI, Deep Learning and Data Science in tech companies and the wider tech ecosystem in India. If you're interested in research, look at research opportunities at centers in India, or even in-house research within the tech ecosystem in India. At the same time, combining this with your desire to pursue this course in Canada, and not India make sense as Indian universities have just about started offering courses in AI, so it makes far more sense to study in Canada, where you could gain more advanced knowledge to facilitate your career back home in India.

3. Another reason mentioned for your rejection is your family ties in India. Do you have any close family/extended family in Canada?

4. Finally, since this will be your third application, I would definitely recommend not rushing it. Defer your admission to the next intake, and please get your GCMS notes to see the exact reasons behind your refusal, as the VO has added practically every reason he could. I would also recommend atleast booking a consulting session with a good Canadian lawyer/law firm that specializes in immigration matters, and specifically profiles with past refusals. Whether you choose to go with them or not, atleast booking an initial consulting session will be useful in understanding where you've gone wrong. This is just a suggestion of mine, based on what I personally did when I re-applied. However, if you feel that you'd rather re-apply yourself, that's cool too - just make sure you re-apply only after getting your GCMS notes.

I genuinely believe you have a great profile, and am very hopeful that you will get an approval the next time you apply. Third time's the charm :)!! Best of luck.

Iveyapplicant

Mar 22, 2021
@rom98 Hey, really sorry for your refusal. Seeing your profile and your SOP, I believe that you do have a good profile, and the course makes sense to me. It is a fact that AI and Deep Learning are at a very nascent stage in both India and UAE, so studying in Canada (where it is more developed), definitely makes sense. Like you, I too got refused the first time around; got an approval the second time. Some suggestions I'd like to make based on my experience :

1. Like most people here mentioned, your finances. What is the cost of your total program, not just the first year? IRCC recently held a seminar in India, where they categorically mentioned that 1 year fees is the minimum they look at. It is highly recommended that you show funding for the remaining course period too. Also, you're applying under non-SDS, where showing funds is even more important. Secondly, you mentioned that your father has shown funds in term deposits. How much has he shown in liquid cash? While term deposits are great, I would definitely recommend showing sufficient liquid cash as well (this is what my lawyer told me when I re-applied. In my case, I showed liquid funds, term deposits as well as mutual funds in my father's name. As for showing bank balance in your name, I think your young age should excuse that. If you were older, then yes I would agree with this being imperative. I'm about the same age as you, and did not show my own bank balance (even though I mentioned I'm earning) because I was not using it to fund my studies. I did however, show mutual funds (about INR 60 lakh) in my name, that had been there for more than 1.5 years. However, I clearly mentioned that the base funding for these funds were given by my father. My contribution to the funds, was investing them in good mutual funds which gave me a good rate of return and thereby increased the funds. I notice that you mentioned that you're planning to move around the required money to a bank account in your name. I really do not recommend that, if you're re-applying within the next 2 months. The VO is not stupid. If you provide bank statements in your name, they have to be for atleast the last 3 months. A sudden influx of funds into your account from your father's account will not bode well, in my opinion. At the end of the day, these aren't funds you have earned. It is still your father's money, only in a different account. However, if you have mutual funds, term deposits of a significant amount that have been in your name for atleast 6 months, definitely show them.

2. Both Saudi Arabia and UAE seem to be going into a phase where they want to hire more citizens for jobs, and reduce their dependence on expats. Rejections by VO due to "Saudization" have unfortunately become quite common. Two of your rejection reasons pertain to your immigration status, and limited job prospects in UAE. Focus on job opportunities post your Canadian masters degree in India, not UAE. Do some research on the scope of AI and Machine Learning in India. I did a course on AI in my last semester of law school in India, so I can definitely tell you that there are increasing opportunities for people with a nuanced knowledge of AI, Deep Learning and Data Science in tech companies and the wider tech ecosystem in India. If you're interested in research, look at research opportunities at centers in India, or even in-house research within the tech ecosystem in India. At the same time, combining this with your desire to pursue this course in Canada, and not India make sense as Indian universities have just about started offering courses in AI, so it makes far more sense to study in Canada, where you could gain more advanced knowledge to facilitate your career back home in India.

3. Another reason mentioned for your rejection is your family ties in India. Do you have any close family/extended family in Canada?

4. Finally, since this will be your third application, I would definitely recommend not rushing it. Defer your admission to the next intake, and please get your GCMS notes to see the exact reasons behind your refusal, as the VO has added practically every reason he could. I would also recommend atleast booking a consulting session with a good Canadian lawyer/law firm that specializes in immigration matters, and specifically profiles with past refusals. Whether you choose to go with them or not, atleast booking an initial consulting session will be useful in understanding where you've gone wrong. This is just a suggestion of mine, based on what I personally did when I re-applied. However, if you feel that you'd rather re-apply yourself, that's cool too - just make sure you re-apply only after getting your GCMS notes.

I genuinely believe you have a great profile, and am very hopeful that you will get an approval the next time you apply. Third time's the charm :)!! Best of luck.
Typo error. Sorry I meant your family ties in Canada. 3. Another reason mentioned for your rejection is your family ties in Canada. Do you have any close family/extended family in Canada?

rom98

Jul 18, 2021

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed reply.. Helps a ton! :)

Regarding your first point, it's a two-year program and the fee is the same for both years. So, the total would equal 54,000 CAD, leaving behind enough to cover living expenses and more. There was a scholarship letter as well which would have further reduced costs. However, we only provided proof of funds in the form of term deposits and no proof of liquid funds. Perhaps this is why it was mentioned as a reason for rejection.

Yeah, seems like the second point is a core reason why it got rejected. I'll look into possible opportunities in AI that I could undertake in India.

Third, I have zero family connections in Canada or North America. They are all based in India or the UAE. Hadn't mentioned this in my letter :/

It seems like it's coming down to the point where taking a deferral is the only option. The program doesn't have winter slots, so I'll have to wait a year :/. I'll make a request for the GCMS anyway and see if there is anything I can do when I receive it (maybe arrive a little late for the program if university permits it?). I wanted to ask if I do decide to reapply a third time for this fall, and god forbid, it gets rejected again :eek:, will it affect my chances of being issued a study permit next year?