+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa Proof of Funds & Joint Account With Spouse

Sandpiper4

Mar 14, 2020
Hello All,

I am a US citizen applying for my Canadian student visa. I have been accepted to a Masters in Social Work Program at UBC-O. My question is regarding proof of funds. I am married, and all our bank accounts are held jointly with my name as primary and my husband as secondary on the particular account I will be using as proof of funds. My spouse will not be accompanying me, he will remain working in the States. Does he need to write some type of letter stating that it is ok for me to use funds from these accounts to cover my expenses? If so does this letter need to be notarized or is an informal letter with signature and date sufficient?

Thank you in advance for your input!

atomster

Oct 24, 2019
Hello All,

I am a US citizen applying for my Canadian student visa. I have been accepted to a Masters in Social Work Program at UBC-O. My question is regarding proof of funds. I am married, and all our bank accounts are held jointly with my name as primary and my husband as secondary on the particular account I will be using as proof of funds. My spouse will not be accompanying me, he will remain working in the States. Does he need to write some type of letter stating that it is ok for me to use funds from these accounts to cover my expenses? If so does this letter need to be notarized or is an informal letter with signature and date sufficient?

Thank you in advance for your input!
As far as I know, you do require a sponsors statement where you can mention the funds that both of you have under your accounts and try to make it detailed as possible so that's easier for the VO to understand.
Please do wait for the other inputs on this as well.

Reactions: Sandpiper4

Sandpiper4

Mar 14, 2020
Thank you so much for your reply! He is not a sponsor - not sure if that matters? He is also a U.S. citizen and will not be coming to Canada with me.