+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa General Question

BOSHFX

Apr 15, 2016
Hey All,

I am an American Citizen who has recently been accepted to a Master's Degree program in Canada (at St. Mary's University in Halifax, NS). I am accepting my offer of enrollment, and naturally my next steps are to apply through the CIC for my student visa. My question is pretty simple - with the 'optional' documents, how 'optional' is 'optional'? The two documents that are 'optional' for my application are 1.) A letter of explanation, and 2.) a TRV application. I know I do not need to submit a TRV because I am an American, and not from a country where a TRV would be required. As far as the 'Letter of Explanation', I think my application speaks for itself. There are no gray areas, my funding is clearly adequate, and my reason for entering the country is clear. All this considered, I don't feel this 'optional' documents are necessary. That being said, I don't want leaving them out to prove an issue in my application.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

cdanielle29

Apr 10, 2016
I too am American and I went ahead and wrote a letter of explanation, just to add a boost to it and I needed to explain my funding. It's adequate but from a transferable retirement fund so I had to explain that. But I mostly just wrote it to explain why I chose the school I did over any American schools.