+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

STUDENT VISA FOR SWEDISH CITIZEN

Tharealdotconnector

Oct 5, 2019
Hello ,

I am in my late 30's , a swedish citizen and I intend going back to school . After high school I went straight to working , didn't have that option to attend college but right now I feel it's time I focus on going to school. I intend studying Hospitality management or Business admin. Now I have heard here and there that CIC have an age limit for people seeking study permit. My government will pay for my expenses . I was in Toronto april and I visited the college I intend applying . Can someone put me through if this is true. It's strange because while I was out visiting the college they had some mature students there . Any response will be appreciated.

Best regards

Francis

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello ,

I am in my late 30's , a swedish citizen and I intend going back to school . After high school I went straight to working , didn't have that option to attend college but right now I feel it's time I focus on going to school. I intend studying Hospitality management or Business admin. Now I have heard here and there that CIC have an age limit for people seeking study permit. My government will pay for my expenses . I was in Toronto april and I visited the college I intend applying . Can someone put me through if this is true. It's strange because while I was out visiting the college they had some mature students there . Any response will be appreciated.

Best regards

Francis
There's no age limit.

Tharealdotconnector

Oct 5, 2019
There's no age limit.
Thanks coming to my aid.. it seems you are really updated about the immigration system ... I use the eligibility checked on CIC site and it says I could get one .. do I need to put up an explanation regarding the gap.. Have you come across anyone issued a study permit at that age to get their first degree. Sorry for bothering you but I just need to be sure before moving forward

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks coming to my aid.. it seems you are really updated about the immigration system ... I use the eligibility checked on CIC site and it says I could get one .. do I need to put up an explanation regarding the gap.. Have you come across anyone issued a study permit at that age to get their first degree. Sorry for bothering you but I just need to be sure before moving forward
Yes - it's a good idea to include a statement of purpose letter that explains the gap and why you are deciding to go back to school now and why in Canada.

Tharealdotconnector

Oct 5, 2019
Yes - it's a good idea to include a statement of purpose letter that explains the gap and why you are deciding to go back to school now and why in Canada.
Wow that's going to be some work . I can give them a reason why especially since I want to take up hospitality management because I plan running a restaurant but the tough question is why canada ? I never heard europeans get denied study visas based on the fact that they don't have enough funds or they won't come back to their country . I have strong ties my son lives in sweden and his mum , I guess that's all I have .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wow that's going to be some work . I can give them a reason why especially since I want to take up hospitality management because I plan running a restaurant but the tough question is why canada ? I never heard europeans get denied study visas based on the fact that they don't have enough funds or they won't come back to their country . I have strong ties my son lives in sweden and his mum , I guess that's all I have .
It's unlikely you would be refused a study permit as a European - however refusals do sometimes happen. If it's been a long time since you were in school then it's a good idea to explain the gap. Also important if the studies you plan to take in Canada have nothing to do with your current profession / work experience. Make sure you show enough funds to cover first year tuition +$10,000 in living expenses (so likely around $25,000). If you are being funded by your government, you will need official paperwork to show this as part of your application.

Tharealdotconnector

Oct 5, 2019
It's unlikely you would be refused a study permit as a European - however refusals do sometimes happen. If it's been a long time since you were in school then it's a good idea to explain the gap. Also important if the studies you plan to take in Canada have nothing to do with your current profession / work experience. Make sure you show enough funds to cover first year tuition +$10,000 in living expenses (so likely around $25,000). If you are being funded by your government, you will need official paperwork to show this as part of your application.
You are so on point on these !!!. Yes the swedish govt will provide me all necessary documents to show that they will be responsible for my fees. Okay I am a bit confused u said " Also important if the studies you plan to take in Canada have nothing to do with your current profession / work experience. Could you explain what you mean by this . I really appreciate all the help I am getting from u

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You are so on point on these !!!. Yes the swedish govt will provide me all necessary documents to show that they will be responsible for my fees. Okay I am a bit confused u said " Also important if the studies you plan to take in Canada have nothing to do with your current profession / work experience. Could you explain what you mean by this . I really appreciate all the help I am getting from u
If your planned studies in Canada have nothing to do with your work experience to date - you should provide an explanation for this in your letter.

Tharealdotconnector

Oct 5, 2019
It has been a while I have been to school , after high school . I started working due to financial hardship .. had to take care of family .. now everyone is sorted and it's time I work on my own self

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your reasons for returning to school still have to make sense and lead to career advancement. If you have a family they are not guaranteed visas/permits to accompany you. Although your government may be paying your tuition you still need to prove that you have the funds to support yourself plus more to qualify. You would also need to include documents from the Swedish government ensuring they will pay for your tuition.

Tharealdotconnector

Oct 5, 2019
G
Your reasons for returning to school still have to make sense and lead to career advancement. If you have a family they are not guaranteed visas/permits to accompany you. Although your government may be paying your tuition you still need to prove that you have the funds to support yourself plus more to qualify. You would also need to include documents from the Swedish government ensuring they will pay for your tuition.
Thanks for the feed back . My family will not accompany me.i will be going alone. Yes the swedish govt that handles school expenses for its citizens will provide me all the necessary documents. I also have my own bank statement I will provide but I was told since the govt will be paying they have to provide the documents. Yes I intend taking hospitality management that's my first choice or Business administration . After high school I went straight into working due economical hardship but now things are okay so I want to achieve that dream of been a graduate. A friend of mine just left for the US he 38yrs old going to get his first degree. Although I heard it's less stressful for Europeans applying for visas but I still have to be prepared for anything . Do you have anymore advise to give me . Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
G

Thanks for the feed back . My family will not accompany me.i will be going alone. Yes the swedish govt that handles school expenses for its citizens will provide me all the necessary documents. I also have my own bank statement I will provide but I was told since the govt will be paying they have to provide the documents. Yes I intend taking hospitality management that's my first choice or Business administration . After high school I went straight into working due economical hardship but now things are okay so I want to achieve that dream of been a graduate. A friend of mine just left for the US he 38yrs old going to get his first degree. Although I heard it's less stressful for Europeans applying for visas but I still have to be prepared for anything . Do you have anymore advise to give me . Thanks
Just make sure to explain why you want to return to school and how the degree will allow you to get a better job or advance in your career when you return to Sweden. Given you seem to have been able to be employed in Sweden for almost 20 years you will have to explain why it makes sense to spend money moving to Canada to study. Just paying for your living expenses and travel will still be expensive.

Tharealdotconnector

Oct 5, 2019
Just make sure to explain why you want to return to school and how the degree will allow you to get a better job or advance in your career when you return to Sweden. Given you seem to have been able to be employed in Sweden for almost 20 years you will have to explain why it makes sense to spend money moving to Canada to study. Just paying for your living expenses and travel will still be expensive.
True .. well I guess I have alot of explaining to do. Hopefully I get approved. But I will try and see what happens. I just need to write a good letter explaining why Canada. But it's strange cause I was in toronto in april and I saw some older guys an ladies in their late 30s attending college for the first time but as matured students. So I wonder why it will be a problem or challenge for me

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
True .. well I guess I have alot of explaining to do. Hopefully I get approved. But I will try and see what happens. I just need to write a good letter explaining why Canada. But it's strange cause I was in toronto in april and I saw some older guys an ladies in their late 30s attending college for the first time but as matured students. So I wonder why it will be a problem or challenge for me
If they are Canadian or PRs there isn’t a problem. You have to prove that it makes sense to come to Canada to do this degree and how it will help you when you return to Sweden.