+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Permit to Working Permit

vin10

Mar 29, 2022
Good day. I have a question regarding my current status. Currently, I have a valid student permit and my employer submitted LMIA request to support work permit application. In that case, am I still eligible to work 20 hours or not anymore? Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good day. I have a question regarding my current status. Currently, I have a valid student permit and my employer submitted LMIA request to support work permit application. In that case, am I still eligible to work 20 hours or not anymore? Thank you.
Are you currently studying full-time?

vin10

Mar 29, 2022
I forgot to mention, i finished my program last January 2022.

If i’m not allowed to work. My plan is to study a short course using my current study permit while waiting for my work permit. Is this okay?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

If i’m not allowed to work. My plan is to study a short course using my current study permit while waiting for my work permit. Is this okay?
Once your program finished, you had to stop working. What is your status now? You need to change your status to visitor or extend your study permit with new course. It will be a while to get LMIA and closed work permit. Assume you want to a school that doesn‘t offer PGWP.

vin10

Mar 29, 2022
My student permit is valid untill 2024. If I study again i can use my current permit? Ans if the new program will start in September, can I work full from April to August?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My student permit is valid untill 2024. If I study again i can use my current permit? Ans if the new program will start in September, can I work full from April to August?
Doesn’t matter that it is valid. It expires 90 days after you graduate. If starting a new program in September, you need a new study permit. You can’t be more than 150 days between programs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Did your program qualify for PGWP?

vin10

Mar 29, 2022
No. I took Health care program and the school doesnt offer pgwp.

for the mean time, is it okay to apply visitor visa then once employer process my work permit that’s the time I can work full? Is that okay?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No. I took Health care program and the school doesnt offer pgwp.

for the mean time, is it okay to apply visitor visa then once employer process my work permit that’s the time I can work full? Is that okay?
Change your status to visitor. Once your employer has a positive LMIA, then you (not your employer) applies for a closed work permit. Processing is 4-5 months once you have LMIA. Once approved, you can work.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Change your status to visitor. Once your employer has a positive LMIA, then you (not your employer) applies for a closed work permit. Processing is 4-5 months once you have LMIA. Once approved, you can work.
Yeah. Thank you
Think you’ll need to plan for closer to 6-8 months not working if everything is approved. The fact that you worked for multiple months illegally isn’t great. As already indicated you had to stop working as soon as you stopped studying full-time.