+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student permit for my brother

m_gul

Star Member
Aug 17, 2016
Hi everyone
I am permanent resident in canada and I am applying student visa for my brother. He got acceptance in Memorial University for bachelor program and he was unable to pass ielts then he took ESL program in university. Is he eligible for student direct stream program without ielts? Or he can apply the visa through regular process? He is Pakistani citizen. As I mentioned i am PR, does he need any letter from my support or anything?

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone
I am permanent resident in canada and I am applying student visa for my brother. He got acceptance in Memorial University for bachelor program and he was unable to pass ielts then he took ESL program in university. Is he eligible for student direct stream program without ielts? Or he can apply the visa through regular process? He is Pakistani citizen. As I mentioned i am PR, does he need any letter from my support or anything?

Thanks
IELTs is mandatory for SDS stream. How old is he? You showing that you are supporting his studies doesn’t strengthen his profile. There is not letter of support. He writes an SOP. He (or your parents) needs to show his own funds, career opportunities, education advancement and ties to home country.

m_gul

Star Member
Aug 17, 2016
IELTs is mandatory for SDS stream. How old is he? You showing that you are supporting his studies doesn’t strengthen his profile. There is not letter of support. He writes an SOP. He (or your parents) needs to show his own funds, career opportunities, education advancement and ties to home country.
Thanks for your reply.
He will be 27yrs old in April. Yes he will be writing statement of purpose (SOP). Any other suggestion?

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your reply.
He will be 27yrs old in April. Yes he will be writing statement of purpose (SOP). Any other suggestion?

Thanks
So at 27 and applying for a bachelors, he needs to show his own funds. You can provide some financial support but the majority of the funds should be his. How long is the program?

His SOP needs to explain why he is coming to Canada and spending tens of thousands of dollars. He needs to explain how it builds on his education and how it will give him better job opportunities in his home country (higher paying job to pay off costs of Canadian education).

m_gul

Star Member
Aug 17, 2016
So at 27 and applying for a bachelors, he needs to show his own funds. You can provide some financial support but the majority of the funds should be his. How long is the program?

His SOP needs to explain why he is coming to Canada and spending tens of thousands of dollars. He needs to explain how it builds on his education and how it will give him better job opportunities in his home country (higher paying job to pay off costs of Canadian education).
Thank you so much for your reply.
He is taking four year program bachelor in commerce (business major). He had two years b.comm from Pakistan.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you so much for your reply.
He is taking four year program bachelor in commerce (business major). He had two years b.comm from Pakistan.
If he has a two year b.comm then a 4 year degree in the exact same filed may not make sense. Officers will wonder why he is taking the exact same program. Why can’t he take a 4 year program in Pakistan? How will a 4 year program after a 2 year program give him that much more salary in Pakistan. If taking a 4 year program, he will want to show a high amount of funds to cover tuition for those years.

m_gul

Star Member
Aug 17, 2016
If he has a two year b.comm then a 4 year degree in the exact same filed may not make sense. Officers will wonder why he is taking the exact same program. Why can’t he take a 4 year program in Pakistan? How will a 4 year program after a 2 year program give him that much more salary in Pakistan. If taking a 4 year program, he will want to show a high amount of funds to cover tuition for those years.
Yes you are right, he will show high amount of funds, he selected the same program because he was not eligible for master because his previous degree was just 2yrs, that's why he is upgrading 2yrs to proper bachelor program in a same field and for future eligible in Master program.
Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes you are right, he will show high amount of funds, he selected the same program because he was not eligible for master because his previous degree was just 2yrs, that's why he is upgrading 2yrs to proper bachelor program in a same field and for future eligible in Master program.
Thanks
Why does he need to "upgrade" in Canada if his plans are a Masters? That is what he also will need to answer.