+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student permit application with a dependant

Invirgo

Jun 27, 2019
I am applying for student permit, and I am applying with my dependent. I have gathered the docs and about to send my application online, but worry about not successful approval since we apply from the USA, countries of current residency.
The question is regarding our status in the USA. I filled out the forms for him as an foreign national for his status in the USA, and my application says a student. My fiance has overstayed his visa in the USA and I am student in the USA. Can I still apply with him? Do I have to submit my documentation about my status in the USA?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Maybe clarify dependant are you in a common law relationship with your fiancé , that is can you show you have been cohabiting for 12 plus months given there is no immigration status such as fiance.

Others can comment but Canada and the US do share information so status will likely come up at some time. If you read other posts here it is always more challenging to get a study permit when not applying from your home country given immigration need convincing you plan to leave back to your home country plus also the reason you need to study in Canada after the US also needs to be convincing.

Invirgo

Jun 27, 2019
Thank you for your reply, we have been together for several years, as a common-law partners, and I have it documented. I kind of worry about his status in the US, if it can affect the decision on Student permit. With my application I enclose his property in his home country that we would like to move there after my study, so I can pursue my career there.

I question now, if it is better for him to apply from his home country, since he has lost his legal status in the US. We wanted to include a police certificate, just to show that he has clean record living in foreign country of residence, but police in the US does not give out such information to anybody (only conviction cases are public) and FBI record check is very lengthy process taking few months..