+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Part time Job Status...

NoorCanada

Mar 31, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello pals
I heard that it is quite hard to get part time jobs for students in Canada while studying?
Is it true for just a rumor?

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NoorCanada said:
Hello pals
I heard that it is quite hard to get part time jobs for students in Canada while studying?
Is it true for just a rumor?
its hard to get "full time job offer" once you complete your study. And here in this forum nobody care ! All wants to be in Canada at any cost. Its not hard "but very hard" if you do not have "skill based work experience", Canadian employers are "not interested" in your Canadian degree.

Well, its not that tough to get part time jobs !

amee

Star Member
Jul 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
chc-new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-11-2011
IELTS Request
7.5 bands
Med's Done....
7-11-2011
Interview........
waived !!!
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2011
LANDED..........
landing on 20/12/2011
Is it so hard to get full time job after completion of college studies over there???Like if u dont have any prior experience , then in which field it is easier to get job....hr management OR database developer ??

NoorCanada

Mar 31, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanx indeed!
But Enfield em not asking after completion of the particular course... Em just asking that is it easy to get jobs in student life to utilize the hours which will be granted officially ?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NoorCanada said:
Thanx indeed!
But Enfield em not asking after completion of the particular course... Em just asking that is it easy to get jobs in student life to utilize the hours which will be granted officially ?
It depends where you are in Canada.

Some employers know about the maximum allowed number of hours, and many offer less than the maximum anyway.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NoorCanada said:
Thanx indeed!
well, part time jobs are there ! Unlike in India or any other South Asian Country, in Canada the concept of Part time jobs are very very popular. Peoples right from young age prefer to be financial independent. You are supposed to compete with those white Canadian army of Part Timers who are much much better in networking and english language skills.

Usually average international students end up working in part time involving a job of waiter, helper, live-in-care, cleaner or even lower thn this ! And average salary they get is usually $8 to $10 (keep in mind, in Canada its a legally enforced mininum wages).

Whatever I am saying may look stupid ! But its true.

And if you are "too good" in studies, then you can be "Graduate Teaching assistant, Grade Marker, or assistant to Teacher"istant to Teacher"

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amee said:
Is it so hard to get full time job after completion of college studies over there???Like if u dont have any prior experience , then in which field it is easier to get job....hr management OR database developer ??
I repeat, its not hard but very hard to get a full time job offer without "Canadian work experience and relevant skill". Your home grown skills are "not so much transferable into Canadian Market".

Vipul singh

Aug 11, 2011
hello Mr. Enfield.... do nt horrify naive users... Let me tell u 2 recent occurred incidents of my 2 frends.. one of my frend just did diploma in networking nd he got a good full time job after 2 years study ... and one of my very good frend name satinder singh.. just completed wireless advance diploma in georage brown college, of 9 months(may b 1 year), he got a full job in BELL company.. u can not predict wht is there by living here... PRACTICE WAT U PREACH... and do not worry guys..... do hardowrk.. and just do nt give a damn to these dumb posts.....

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
Mr. enfield plz do not discourage people here. Its true that jobs have been dried all over the world due to global crises but still i know people in canada who worked part time with 10 to 12$/Hr and now even in their 2nd year of studies one of my friends doing part time field related job for 17.5$/Hr.
Your comments shows that you are totally disagree to jobs market in Canada.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Enfield is not discouraging people, he is telling the truth.
In many places the main obstacle to getting full time work is "not enough Canadian experience".
Obviously there are exceptions, but this is reality in Canada.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Baloo said:
In many places the main obstacle to getting full time work is "not enough Canadian experience".
I like it. Its better for us NOT to start day dreaming. Life in Canada isn't so easy as we predict. I admit we can MAKE IT, but certainly NOT BY shortcuts.

Most of us are running for cheap Diploma/Certificate in courses which looks more like alien studies.

Here nobody is asking, why Canadian Government has introduced two seperate process, SPP and General categories ???

The logic behind SPP is to financially promote some simply cheap and low grade community colleges which are struggling to attract enough funds to maintain its day to day work. International students end up paying twice or sometime thrice the tution fees as compared to domestic students. Canadian Government knew it very well thats why SPP Program is "not a permanent one". At present its valid upto 2012. And once they squeeeeze us enough, they shall end SPP with an immediate effect.

I know most of you won't agree with me.

its more like suffering from "Greener Pasture Syndrome"

squeeeeze us enough, they shall end SPP with an immediate effect.

I know most of you won't agree with me.

its more like suffering from "Greener Pasture Syndrome"

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Enfield,

enfield said:
Here nobody is asking, why Canadian Government has introduced two seperate process, SPP and General categories ???
The Visa officers needs to check every applicant on three parameters:
1. Financial stability (Funds to complete his/her studies) [Most Important]
2. Home Ties (If there is a valid reason with which the candidate can return to his home country)
3. Adequate past education/interest/academic credentials (going for higher studies in same field or a totally different one, for example an Engineer going for chef course might not get a visa)

Now, each steps requires time, efforts and documents for its verification. SPP allows visa officer to bypass step 1 (since bank sponsorship is there). This leads to a reduced processing time.

Though if you apply in a lean period (say Jun-July for Fall batch), you can get your visa in few days in general as well.

The documents required in general and SPP category is same except the financial part. The list of colleges given are all top colleges and not come cheap one.

enfield said:
The logic behind SPP is to financially promote some simply cheap and low grade community colleges which are struggling to attract enough funds to maintain its day to day work. International students end up paying twice or sometime thrice the tution fees as compared to domestic students. Canadian Government knew it very well thats why SPP Program is "not a permanent one". At present its valid upto 2012. And once they squeeeeze us enough, they shall end SPP with an immediate effect.
Enfield,

That's a very strong statement and unfortunately full of presumptions. Please check the number of students going for community colleges vs universities every year and you might realize why these colleges are in the list. Most of the colleges in the list are the most reputed one's in Canada.

In general, college education is cheap than University but they both serve a different purpose.

University provides long term education which usually result in a degree. Unfortunately, they do not provide specialize courses. So if you have to go to a specialized course, you have to go to a community college.

Moreover, intentions of a fresh graduate applying for a visa, and a person having 6-10 years of experience is very different.

If you are already doing the job (for a few years), then placement (of Uni.) do not rank high and the motive is to gain specialization that might help in moving the corporate ladder fast. Besides, once in the job you cannot leave the corporate world for long so a 8 month course seems a viable choice.

Please do not make generalized statements that may create confusion for other valid students.

GS

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Baloo said:
I concur with Enfiled and Babloo on this.

To offer you a job, Canadian employers need:
1. Good language skills (that you may require even in your home country)
2. Experience in the field (that you might have in your home country)
AND
3. Verification of the work experience and study credentials that may be gained from:
A. Work experience in Canada [Most Important]
And/Or
B. Education from Canada

Some employers prefer practical experience in Canada more than academic credentials that makes it difficult for International students to get a job offer.

However, if you have valid experience in the field in some good MNCs in your home country, along with a reputed course done in Canada, there is no shortage of jobs even in this bad economy. Fresh graduates with no work experience face issues, and this applies not just to International Students but also to Canadian nationals born and educated in Canada as well.

It is not good to day dream but it is also not good to lose your hope. Stay hungry, stay foolish and always think +vely.

GS

NoorCanada

Mar 31, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well GS ... Thanx 4 he Info and motivational texts...
That will help all....
But as far as Experience concern so i heard that Canadian only recognize the Canadian Employment experience, Im not saying that they not give any attention to other country experience but they really Emphasis on Canadian .
Thats what i heard...
And i had also heard that many Countries are working on this matter and negotiating with Canadian High Commission.. Specially Pakistan.
Thats what i saw in Program based on Immigrant's life in canada.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GS_Stud said:
I concur with Enfiled and Babloo on this.

To offer you a job, Canadian employers need:
1. Good language skills (that you may require even in your home country)
2. Experience in the field (that you might have in your home country)
AND
3. Verification of the work experience and study credentials that may be gained from:
A. Work experience in Canada [Most Important]
And/Or
B. Education from Canada

Some employers prefer practical experience in Canada more than academic credentials that makes it difficult for International students to get a job offer.

However, if you have valid experience in the field in some good MNCs in your home country, along with a reputed course done in Canada, there is no shortage of jobs even in this bad economy. Fresh graduates with no work experience face issues, and this applies not just to International Students but also to Canadian nationals born and educated in Canada as well.

It is not good to day dream but it is also not good to lose your hope. Stay hungry, stay foolish and always think +vely.

GS
I agree with "this post" simply because you covered all my concerns here.

Even for well experienced and qualifed international graduates, the non transferable skills is the main concern ! So you can imagine the situation of those students who lack any work experience, holds very weak academic history, failed in studies and even struggling to reach IELTS cut off.

I am not negative for everything in Canada. chances do exist for hardworking students. Just løok what happened in Australia, thousands of students get enrolled in courses like chef and hair dressing just to get PR.

well, what I came to know, that in Canada one thing work greatly and that is "Networking".

anyway thanks a lot for your post.