+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student loan for PR in Ontario

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
I landed on Nov 25, 2009 in Toronto. Spent the last 7 months looking for work and obviously have had no luck. So I've decided i'm going back to school. Getting Canadian credentials and work experience through a co-op program should improve my chances of looking for a job after I graduate.

So my question is would I qualify for financial aid in Ontario if I were to start in September 2010? I've read in places that you have to be a resident of Ontario for 12 months before you qualify for financial aid through OSAP loans. And I've read (or rather it looked like it was implied) elsewhere that the one year rule does not apply to newly-landed immigrants, and only students from outside the province. I filled out an application on the OSAP website and they did not block my application even though I stated I had only been in ontario for 7 months.

The fall 2010 semester would stretch from September 2010 until December 2010 which would coincide with the one-year anniversary of my landing. If the one-year rule applies, would I qualify for financial aid for that fall 2010 whether pro-rated or not, or would I only get financial aid in winter 2011? I'm fully prepared to pay for the fall semester, but while my application with OSAP is pending, I'd just like to know what they're going to do so that I can move my money around now.

Vaniyanikki

Jul 15, 2010
India
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
11-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2010
Dear mediajukie,

I am not a senior member and not yet landed there.. But I have searched several times for the funding opportunities in canada (I too wish to join a Masters program).
In which program you wish to join? I think, the funding is available for even newly immigrated ones (along with citizens). Visit sites of a few universities there, I hope you will get the desired info.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
I am just doing a Bachelor's program, I already have a Ph.D. but I've decided to move to a different and more employable field. At the same time get to meet some people and make some new friends.

I've already gotten admittance to a college and I applied for OSAP. If they say no due to residency requirements, I'll just pay for this semester and perhaps take fewer classes to reduce the tuition costs. I should meet my residency requirements in november and should qualify for funding in the winter semester.