+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stuck in a desperate situation because of my own faults

Jo2893

Oct 5, 2019
sorry about the long post but i have kind of a complicated case. I came to canada for my masters but close to finishing it I completely stopped going to school and put everything on hold because of depression due to some personal problem. I even forgot to renew my student visa and only realised after it was expired so i applied for restoration of status. I donot know what happened with the application as initially it got approved but then they changed it to cancelled.

I was still in depression at that point and i ignored it and just started living here without a status. I have been without status for a little over a year. Now that i finally picked myself up, i am stuck in a situation where i have no status in canada and degree on hold as i would need status to goto school which i would also have to apply again to.

In a desperate attempt my girlfriend of 3 years suggested we get married and apply for a spousal pr. she is a canadian citizen. So we got married end of august.
I wanted to ask for help regarding the pr process as i donot know how that will go with my current situation. I had also been illegally working about 10-12 hours a week.

Any and all guidance will be appreciated. Also, would i be better off contacting a lawyer? I have no idea how much that would cost as i donot have too much money saved up.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sorry about the long post but i have kind of a complicated case. I came to canada for my masters but close to finishing it I completely stopped going to school and put everything on hold because of depression due to some personal problem. I even forgot to renew my student visa and only realised after it was expired so i applied for restoration of status. I donot know what happened with the application as initially it got approved but then they changed it to cancelled.

I was still in depression at that point and i ignored it and just started living here without a status. I have been without status for a little over a year. Now that i finally picked myself up, i am stuck in a situation where i have no status in canada and degree on hold as i would need status to goto school which i would also have to apply again to.

In a desperate attempt my girlfriend of 3 years suggested we get married and apply for a spousal pr. she is a canadian citizen. So we got married end of august.
I wanted to ask for help regarding the pr process as i donot know how that will go with my current situation. I had also been illegally working about 10-12 hours a week.

Any and all guidance will be appreciated. Also, would i be better off contacting a lawyer? I have no idea how much that would cost as i donot have too much money saved up.
Stop working now.

Apply for sponsorship. Be completely honest about the fact that you stopped studying and about any and all illegal work.

Jo2893

Oct 5, 2019
Stop working now.

Apply for sponsorship. Be completely honest about the fact that you stopped studying and about any and all illegal work.
Ok thanks for the fast reply. Also i did forget to mention, during the period without status i was charged with theft under 5000 and the matter was sent to restorative justice and i was told it would not affect immigration later on. Is that true? Or would it cause problmes for me considering all the other things.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok thanks for the fast reply. Also i did forget to mention, during the period without status i was charged with theft under 5000 and the matter was sent to restorative justice and i was told it would not affect immigration later on. Is that true? Or would it cause problmes for me considering all the other things.
I think you'd be well advised to get a consult with a good immigration lawyer who can assess the charge and any immigration implications.

Your case is very messy. Didn't finish school, out of status, illegal work. You'll want to provide very strong evidence your marriage is genuine - IRCC may have concerns it's a marriage of convenience based on your profile. I would expect longer than normal processing times and the possibility of a relationship interview.

Hopefully the marriage wasn't fast and you've been in a relationship with your girlfriend for some time now.

Reactions: BrasilCan

Jo2893

Oct 5, 2019
I think you'd be well advised to get a consult with a good immigration lawyer who can assess the charge and any immigration implications.

Your case is very messy. Didn't finish school, out of status, illegal work. You'll want to provide very strong evidence your marriage is genuine - IRCC may have concerns it's a marriage of convenience based on your profile. I would expect longer than normal processing times and the possibility of a relationship interview.

Hopefully the marriage wasn't fast and you've been in a relationship with your girlfriend for some time now.
We have been together for over 3 years now. We hve pictures and messages dating back about the same time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We have been together for over 3 years now. We hve pictures and messages dating back about the same time.
That's good news.

I would still consult with a lawyer on the charge. Also agree that the sooner you stop working illegally the better. Make sure you are 100% honest in your application.

Jo2893

Oct 5, 2019
That's good news.

I would still consult with a lawyer on the charge. Also agree that the sooner you stop working illegally the better. Make sure you are 100% honest in your application.
I have stopped working on my sin last month and now its just a cash job few hours a week and money from it i have not been depositing and just using cash everywhere.
I will contact a lawyer. Also, when i was charged i contacted a private lawyer and she did say that if it goes to restorativr justice, it will not affect my immigration status and then she suggested i can just goto legal aid and save my money as it would basically be the same result.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have stopped working on my sin last month and now its just a cash job few hours a week and money from it i have not been depositing and just using cash everywhere.
I will contact a lawyer. Also, when i was charged i contacted a private lawyer and she did say that if it goes to restorativr justice, it will not affect my immigration status and then she suggested i can just goto legal aid and save my money as it would basically be the same result.
You should stop working the cash job.

You'll need to make sure you declare all illegal work (including the cash job) in your application.

Jo2893

Oct 5, 2019
Do u blame your depression on the theft under 5000$ charge?
I blame everything that has happened to me on myself. I am on here trying to rectify my mistakes and asking for help regarding how i would do it. You do not seem to be interested in helping.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I blame everything that has happened to me on myself. I am on here trying to rectify my mistakes and asking for help regarding how i would do it. You do not seem to be interested in helping.
If you are trying to rectify your mistakes you shouldn’t still be working cash jobs and trying to hide it. Just saying.

Jo2893

Oct 5, 2019
If you are trying to rectify your mistakes you shouldn’t still be working cash jobs and trying to hide it. Just saying.
I know but my family is not really well off and even just surviving with basic needs is quite expensive. I would love to stop working immediately but then i would run out of money in about 5 months.
I can just lie and say yes i am stopping all work but i am trying to be as honest as possible and open to all suggestions.

Jo2893

Oct 5, 2019
You should stop working the cash job.

You'll need to make sure you declare all illegal work (including the cash job) in your application.
Thank you for your help. I will try to stop workiing as much as posaible but i cannot just do nothing for the whole time it would take the application process.

shaggiemaggie

Sep 5, 2019
I know but my family is not really well off and even just surviving with basic needs is quite expensive. I would love to stop working immediately but then i would run out of money in about 5 months.
I can just lie and say yes i am stopping all work but i am trying to be as honest as possible and open to all suggestions.
Exactly my point. U came to Canada, let your status run out. Then committed a crime. (You never answered the question if u committed the crime due to depression)You said you'll stop working. Then you say you cant stop cause your family need the money. Sounds to me u committed the crime to get cash for your family. Sorry for being blunt but people who go to canada and commit crimes shouldn't be allowed to stay

Jo2893

Oct 5, 2019
Exactly my point. U came to Canada, let your status run out. Then committed a crime. (You never answered the question if u committed the crime due to depression)You said you'll stop working. Then you say you cant stop cause your family need the money. Sounds to me u committed the crime to get cash for your family. Sorry for being blunt but people who go to canada and commit crimes shouldn't be allowed to stay
Idk the crime i commited was picking up a couple sweaters from my buildings lobby while being drunk which were valued at about 80 dollars. I understand your poont of not wanting criminals in canada but that was a really atupid mistake i made about which i forgot completely until a cop showed up at my door 2 months later. And about working i am not trying to give money to my family just trying to support myself so they donot have to spend more money on me on top of all the other money they have already spent on me(which included most of their savings).

I am sorry if i offended you in any way but all i am trying to do is get my life back on track. All i want to do is get a legal status and being able to work like normal people.