+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

stuck in 7.5 in reading...where am i going wrong?

tahminaml

Oct 19, 2015
Dhaka
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront 11.02.17
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-03-2017
Passport Req..
10-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
19-09-2017
LANDED..........
03-03-2018
may be NG, true and false. how to improve in these type of ques?

ricky44

May 20, 2016
Hi, are you preparing for Ielts by yourself? Its very tough to be good with such type of questions. But I hope this would help you:

The most important thing to remember is what the words ‘true’, ‘false’ and ‘not given’ actually mean and therefore what IELTS wants you to write.

If the text agrees with or confirms the information in the statement, the answer is TRUE
If the text contradicts or is the opposite to the information in the statement, the answer is FALSE
If there is no information or it is impossible to know, the answer is NOT GIVEN

True means that the meaning is the same. It is just similar then is FALSE. Remember that we are dealing with factual information so there is no room to say it is similar or nearly the same.

Very important- Just because an answer is NOT GIVEN does not mean there are no words in the statements that match words in the text. This is something that confuses people, if words match then it must be TRUE or FALSE, right? Not really. This is not a good way to think about these questions because there probably will be matching words for NOT GIVEN answers, they just don’t have enough information to answer the question as a whole.

Rest you can check some videos on you tube. they will be helpful. Good luck !!

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i scored 9 in reading... my trick was when i was reading a yes no maybe question, i was looking at the question like a lawyer, trying to find anything which can give a 100% answer... dont think i explained clearly so lets give an example.

i ate bananas for breakfast today - this is the statement

now question is - i ate cereal for breakfast
options - true, false, maybe.

now you would think correct answer is false, becoz i ate bananas for breakfast. however the correct answer is maybe ,since i did NOT say that bananas is the only thing that i ate for breakfast... i could have had bananas plus pancakes plus cereal.

if you look at each question like a lawyer would, trying to find loopholes lol, then you will score maximum marks...
i rememember i had finished my reading paper with 10 mins to spare, confident that i had got every question correct :) just need to practise practise practise... there is no shortcut to success

y-axisoverseas

Dec 16, 2015
Do you know how many words you will have to read on the IELTS reading test? About 900! When you think about having to answer 40 questions, in an hour, in a foreign language, it seems impossible. Don’t worry, there are lots of ways you can improve both your exam technique and reading skills, so that you will not only finish the exam, but also do really well.

Just like any other skill, speed reading can be learned and perfected with practice. When you learn how to read faster you will enjoy the following advantages:

• You will be able to understand the general meaning of the whole text and each paragraph much more easily and quickly. This will help you find the correct answers more effectively.
• You will enter the exam with more confidence than you did before. Confident candidates don’t feel as nervous as those who don’t believe in themselves and tend to perform better.
• You will have more time to think about your answers and make sure they are the correct ones. You will also have time to check your answers at the end.
• You will be able to quickly read a wide variety of articles before you do the test. This will not only improve your reading skills, but your overall level of English.
Practice is the key to performing well in the reading test and magazines and newspapers can be a great source here. This in turn will improve not only your reading speed, but also your ability to score high in this module.