+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stuck in 6.5 IELTS (unbelievable!)

Lindt

Star Member
Jul 24, 2018
I attempted IELTS twice, all bands were good except for Writing. I scored 6.5 in Writing every time. I can't afford the $$ costs of doing the test anymore.. feeling so desperate now.

However, I need 7.0 urgently, as 7.0 will be my only option to reach (440 CRS) and be invited to apply.

I have very little experience, 1 year (overseas) + I'm running out of time as I am turning 30 years old soon :(

Feeling so emotionally drained.

Just wanted to share my problem with someone who might understand and guide me :(

Last edited:

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
I attempted IELTS twice, all skills are good except Writing. I scored 6.5 in Writing every time. I can't afford the $$ costs of doing the test anymore.. feeling so desperate now.

However, I need 7.0 urgently, as 7.0 will be my only option to reach (440 CRS) and be invited to apply.

I have very little experience, 1 year (overseas) + I'm running out of time as I am turning 30 years old soon :(

Just wanted to share my problem with someone who might understand and guide me :(
What is your score in each section ?

Reactions: NADIRA SALIH

Lindt

Star Member
Jul 24, 2018
did you try re-evaluation of writing module. sometimes it gets bumped up .5 after
I strongly believe that IELTS Re-evaluating is a complete ripoff. Beside, my Writing must already been marked twice as the difference between Writing band and Listening band is 2 points.

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
Listening: 8.5, Speaking: 8.0, Reading: 8.0, Writing: 6.5
You'll have to give it one more try. Try to stay on the subject and with a little preparation you could score even more than 7.
What is your mother language ?

Manakhly

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
Listening: 8.5, Speaking: 8.0, Reading: 8.0, Writing: 6.5
I was in your shoes and I tried and tried and every single time I couldn't get a 7 BUT I came across this facebook group that has experts reviewing essays and giving tips to why you are scoring 6.5 and not a 7.

It turns out its all about some technical things that was preventing me from getting a 7 and the following attempt I got 7 very easy.
I 100% ASSURE U THAT U CAN DO IT IF YOU FOLLOW THEIR LEAD :D here is their link on facebook https://www.facebook.com/upmyielts.admin/

nitingoescanada

Star Member
Jul 14, 2018
Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-08-2018
AOR Received.
19-08-2018
Med's Done....
11-09-2018
This is what I did - I opted for writing correction services and then i came to know about few mistakes which I had been neglecting completely. Then i rose from 6.5 to 7.0 in very next test. You can send me your writing samples and i will get it checked for free. Surely u ll see an improvement.
email - nitingoel.sam@gmail.com

tuitui509

Jan 20, 2018
I attempted IELTS twice, all bands were good except for Writing. I scored 6.5 in Writing every time. I can't afford the $$ costs of doing the test anymore.. feeling so desperate now.

I can share some tips, the issue is not that you can not write 7 and above, the issue is that with limited time you can not write a good essay that can score above 7.

5 principles for writing 7 and above:

1. Learn What TA, CC, LR, GRA means and how scores are deducted from each section
2. task 2 learn "fabric scaffolding" techniques for each type of topic( very essential)
3. task 2 at least 300-325 words with 5-6 paragraphs.
4. task 2 spend at least 45 minutes(10 minutes for structure map, 30 minute writing and 5 minutes read through and make corrections)
5. always do task 2 first(task 2 weighs more, to get a writing 7 you need at least task2 7 or above)

How writing score calculated:
(task2 *2 + task1 *1)/3 if you score task2 7 and task1 6 then your score is 7
if you score task2 6 and task1 8 then your score is 7
if you score task2 7.5 then you task 1 only need to score 5 to get 7, this is the main reason you need to do task2 first as always.

I believe anyone can write a sample letter with 100-120 words(3-4 paragraph) within 10 minutes(120 words will get 5 as long as TA and CC is good)

I hope this helps. I have scored 3 times 6.5 in writing could not improve until I have followed the 5 principles above. I spent total about 20 hours to learn 1 and 2 and practice 2 task 2 writing from Cambridge 11 book then the next ietls exam I got my writing in 7.5.

My Final score is L: 8.5, S:8, W:7.5 R:9 CLB 10 band from exam 2018 April 7
ITA Mary 23rd with CRS 445

Elenyan

May 22, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-05-2018
AOR Received.
02-05-2018
Med's Done....
09-05-2018

Find the estimates for each band score - the ones that the examiners use to estimate your writing. They are available online and those are pretty precise. Look at band 7 and 8 and try to improve your score by referring to these estimates.

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017

How did things go, did you re-attempt the IELTS?