+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Struggling with IELTS Listening... NEED HELP...URGENT...!!

Tarun92

Oct 2, 2015
Kolkata
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
watch the english news channel and english movies with subtitles. Read the subtitles while listening to it.

ETE

May 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
AOR Received.
22-05-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2015
redfox05 said:
Some great tips above, and I thought I would add my own.

I pondered about the caps/no caps, and even the staff at the centre were not able to give me a good answer on if I should or shouldn't do that (I wanted to check if all caps for all answers would look bad). I ended up doing ALL CAPS. Judging by my score, I think it was safe to say ALL CAPS did not lose me any marks, whereas, making small mistakes with names and places may have.

Next, yes, I totally agree, underline the key words in the question the moment you see the question, as the tape starts playing. Then skim the text and question super-fast, and do some more underlining of key names, places, dates, numbers.

Read the question carefully, check how many words are expected, and if its a mix of words and numbers or BOTH. Note the AND/OR numbers on some questions. I got caught out. Although actually, I think that was the Reading exam, as I was able to ask the examiner that to make of the guidelines there. ASK. never hurts to ask. They can always say sorry, we cant say. But they might be able to help. you don't know if you don't ask.

Finally, very important: Within each main question/listening task there are often several sub-questions. Look 2/3 sub-questions ahead of the one you are answering, as you may find they worded the answer differently than you were expecting, so you might be waiting for that for ages and then you realise they are already 3 questions ahead.

If you think the answer is taking a long time to appear, double check 2/3 questions ahead to make sure you have not just missed it. If you missed it. MOVE ON. you may lose more marks panicking about the one you missed, and in doing so, you risk losing more marks as you are distracted for the next questions. If needed, just write ANYTHING you remember on the question paper (not answer sheet yet) as a note, and check back when you have more time. Remember, you do get time at the end to transfer your answers to the answer sheet.

Hope it helps.

P.s. for reference, my scores were as follows, and the tips I gave above were all things I did myself in the test, and getting a 8.5 must mean the tips must have helped somehow, BUT, take everyone's advice with caution, they may not be right, even mine could be wrong/inaccurate.

Overall Band 9.0
Listening 8.5
Reading 9.0
Writing 8.5
Speaking 9.0
I agree completely with what you just said.

I also got an Overall band of 9.0
Listening 9.0
Reading 9.0
Writing 8.0
Speaking 9.0

I am not a Native speaker but i still managed to get a band 9

Those of your struggling with IELTS or IDP should use the tips he/she mentioned.

Goodluck guys!

redfox05

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
United Kingdom
NOC Code......
2173 Software engineers and designers
App. Filed.......
25/01/2016
AOR Received.
25/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
29/01/2016
Passport Req..
07/06/2016
VISA ISSUED...
06/2016 (Not exact for security)
LANDED..........
07/2016 (Not exact for security)
Hey wow, well done on getting those scores and not being a native speaker!!

I'm a guy btw. hehe never thought that my nickname could refer to either gender, but yup, could do :p

ETE said:
I agree completely with what you just said.

I also got an Overall band of 9.0
Listening 9.0
Reading 9.0
Writing 8.0
Speaking 9.0

I am not a Native speaker but i still managed to get a band 9

Those of your struggling with IELTS or IDP should use the tips he/she mentioned.

Goodluck guys!

ETE

May 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
AOR Received.
22-05-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2015
redfox05 said:
Hey wow, well done on getting those scores and not being a native speaker!!

I'm a guy btw. hehe never thought that my nickname could refer to either gender, but yup, could do :p
:D your nickname sounds unisex, besides one could use any nickname or username regardless of gender.

Thanks for the compliment on my IELTS result. I was quite surprised and impressed with the band scores, seeing that this was my first try and i am not a native speaker. I do speak english fluently but i am not a native speaker.

Miggy

Dec 30, 2015
Ichowdhury said:
Thank you is an understatement for all your efforts. Yes I have started with youtube videos trying to do I listening session per day. Will keep you guys updated. Thank you once again.
Hey, how did the exam go? Hope you got the band score you want. I took my IELTS exam and I also listened to Youtube podcast with valuable advice, interviews and lessons from tutor Ben Worthington.

cococly

Aug 3, 2015
Category........
PNP
Doc's Request.
28-FEB-2017
Nomination.....
07-DEC-2016
AOR Received.
18-JAN-2017
Med's Done....
24-DEC-2016
Passport Req..
06-JUN-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-JUN-2017
LANDED..........
00-JUL-2017
To OP,

If you are in Canada, you should take the CELPIP test. I felt it was much easier than IELTS.

It's just my opinion only.

redfox05

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
United Kingdom
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25/01/2016
AOR Received.
25/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
29/01/2016
Passport Req..
07/06/2016
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Miggy said:
I took my IELTS exam and I also listened to Youtube podcast with valuable advice, interviews and lessons from tutor Ben Worthington.
Can you post the links to the podcasts as I feel it could be valuable to others. Theres no much information no YouTube, it will help to highlight out some of the useful ones.

redfox05

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
United Kingdom
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25/01/2016
AOR Received.
25/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
29/01/2016
Passport Req..
07/06/2016
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Saskatchewan_Regina said:
Have you tried CELPIP? It is much easier in listening, no spelling. I didn't understand all of the listening but I got full mark.
Didnt the previous person say thats only in Canada?