+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stronger ties to home country

amairena95

Apr 19, 2017
Profile:
Undergrad from the US: 3.6 gpa in IT
Accepted with funding for Computer Science in canada.

Hi all,

As I work through the student permit application, the hardest part for me is showing strong ties to home country. I am:
Single
No kids
No property to my name
I will be graduating from the US in may, so no job in my home country.
My whole family (dad,mom,sister,grandma,cousins etc) all do live in my country, but that is the only thing I have going there for me.
I do have a bank account to my name where my mom usually sent me money to use in the US(so it doesnt look helpful).

Is there anything I can do to give stronger ties to my home country? Also, where do I show this, during the application(online or paper) there is no where to show this stuff. Is this what the optional letter of explanation is for?

Debby25

Star Member
Apr 12, 2017
Hi! I am italian and during my application for college in Canada they never asked me about demostrating my ties with my home country. Of course, in the motivational letter I wrote that, after the college, I will come back to Italy.

DanielEcu

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Quito, Ecuador
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota, Colombia
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2017
Doc's Request.
VAC - Upfront
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
12-04-2017
Med's Done....
17-04-2017
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
18-04-2017
LANDED..........
Will be 05-07-2017
you can just say that you are a very family oriented person and thus you get along very well with your family and that is the reason you plan on returning... you may say you have aging parents and your sister, grandma etc etc etc

amairena95

Apr 19, 2017
Debby25 said:
Hi! I am italian and during my application for college in Canada they never asked me about demostrating my ties with my home country. Of course, in the motivational letter I wrote that, after the college, I will come back to Italy.
Hi, thanks for the response. I am from Honduras and during my application(online or paper) there is nothing mentioning about demonstrating ties to my home country, but from the forum it seems that people get rejected for it. Did you apply online or on paper? if online, is that 'motivational' letter you wrote the same as the optional 'letter of explanation'? I do not really see where else I can upload that

DanielEcu

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Quito, Ecuador
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota, Colombia
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2017
Doc's Request.
VAC - Upfront
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
12-04-2017
Med's Done....
17-04-2017
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
18-04-2017
LANDED..........
Will be 05-07-2017
amairena95 said:
Hi, thanks for the response. I am from Honduras and during my application(online or paper) there is nothing mentioning about demonstrating ties to my home country, but from the forum it seems that people get rejected for it. Did you apply online or on paper? if online, is that 'motivational' letter you wrote the same as the optional 'letter of explanation'? I do not really see where else I can upload that
Yes, you note that on your SOP (statement of purpose), letter of explanation, intention letter, study plan, itinerary or however you want to call it...

amairena95

Apr 19, 2017
DanielEcu said:
Yes, you note that on your SOP (statement of purpose), letter of explanation, intention letter, study plan, itinerary or however you want to call it...
Thanks for the quick response! I noticed you applied from colombia, where it seems that providing a study plan is part of the requirements. I have searched around and it seems that it varies for region/country. For Honduras it seems that I do not have that requirement, and mine would be optional. Since it is optional, do you think it helps or hurt my case if i provide one?

Also, besides family, did you have any other ties to your country, like a job or properties to your name? I have the feeling that only using my family as a tie to the country isnt as strong as having an actual job or property.

DanielEcu

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Quito, Ecuador
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota, Colombia
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2017
Doc's Request.
VAC - Upfront
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
12-04-2017
Med's Done....
17-04-2017
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
18-04-2017
LANDED..........
Will be 05-07-2017
amairena95 said:
Thanks for the quick response! I noticed you applied from colombia, where it seems that providing a study plan is part of the requirements. I have searched around and it seems that it varies for region/country. For Honduras it seems that I do not have that requirement, and mine would be optional. Since it is optional, do you think it helps or hurt my case if i provide one?

Also, besides family, did you have any other ties to your country, like a job or properties to your name? I have the feeling that only using my family as a tie to the country isnt as strong as having an actual job or property.
Yes, it is part of the requeriments when applying through the VAC. However, it remains as an optional document (AND ADVISABLE) one no matter from where you apply.

Again, I would certainly recommend writting one (and I think everyody else will agree with me) since it will give the visa officer an overlook to your case, it will help him understanding better your situation and even taking a faster resolution. You can explain yourself in so many levels...

As far as ties, yes, I have a family business (hence a job to return to as well) and properties under my name. Are you using a sponsor? Because in that case you may also show ties on that side...

amairena95

Apr 19, 2017
DanielEcu said:
Yes, it is part of the requeriments when applying through the VAC. However, it remains as an optional document (AND ADVISABLE) one no matter from where you apply.

Again, I would certainly recommend writting one (and I think everyody else will agree with me) since it will give the visa officer an overlook to your case, it will help him understanding better your situation and even taking a faster resolution. You can explain yourself in so many levels...

As far as ties, yes, I have a family business (hence a job to return to as well) and properties under my name. Are you using a sponsor? Because in that case you may also show ties on that side...

Again, thanks. I am very convinced now about writing the letter.
As far as the ties, Since the university will be paying me enough to cover for tuition+living expenses, I was not planning on using my dad as a sponsor. However, would it be better to say that he will be providing for extra cash for living expenses (and use his bank statements, and monthly income from pension/retirement) as proof of funds (and thus i guess showing stronger ties)?

DanielEcu

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Quito, Ecuador
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota, Colombia
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2017
Doc's Request.
VAC - Upfront
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
12-04-2017
Med's Done....
17-04-2017
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
18-04-2017
LANDED..........
Will be 05-07-2017
amairena95 said:
Again, thanks. I am very convinced now about writing the letter.
As far as the ties, Since the university will be paying me enough to cover for tuition+living expenses, I was not planning on using my dad as a sponsor. However, would it be better to say that he will be providing for extra cash for living expenses (and use his bank statements, and monthly income from pension/retirement) as proof of funds (and thus i guess showing stronger ties)?
Yes, that is what I did... I had enough funds to cover my time in Canada, but my father wrote a letter stating that he would cover any emergency expenses or anything else in case needed. You will have to show his bank statements, properties titles, income proof, etc. This will help greatly as ties to return to your country.
Hope this helps!

amairena95

Apr 19, 2017
DanielEcu said:
Yes, that is what I did... I had enough funds to cover my time in Canada, but my father wrote a letter stating that he would cover any emergency expenses or anything else in case needed. You will have to show his bank statements, properties titles, income proof, etc. This will help greatly as ties to return to your country.
Hope this helps!
Perfect! this helps a lot.

Also, do you think that adding to the letter of explanation the fact that I will be studying/researching under a specific professor in the area of [something], which is an area that my country doesnt have many(or any) experts on as one of my reasons for studying in canada help my case? I could add that I would be one of the pioneer experts in the area and upon my return to my country I could help it advance technologically in that area.

Thank you so much!

amairena95

Apr 19, 2017
Debby25 said:
Thanks for the response. In writing that you will go back to Italy, what else did you say? like did you write you had property or a job waiting for you when you are done? Or did you specify another reason to go back to italy?

DanielEcu

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Quito, Ecuador
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota, Colombia
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2017
Doc's Request.
VAC - Upfront
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
12-04-2017
Med's Done....
17-04-2017
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
18-04-2017
LANDED..........
Will be 05-07-2017
amairena95 said:
Perfect! this helps a lot.

Also, do you think that adding to the letter of explanation the fact that I will be studying/researching under a specific professor in the area of [something], which is an area that my country doesnt have many(or any) experts on as one of my reasons for studying in canada help my case? I could add that I would be one of the pioneer experts in the area and upon my return to my country I could help it advance technologically in that area.

Thank you so much!
Yes, that would be very useful, do it! Since one of the parameters they consider is why you wouldn't do the studies in your country... so, go for it!

amairena95

Apr 19, 2017
Hi guys! I just wanted to say thanks and let you know that in the end, I did not have to provide an explanation letter or anything else. It was approved in under 3 weeks!

Reactions: crystal4

crystal4

Jun 28, 2017
Hi,
I read the whole thread. I am going through the same situation as you were. I just got to know from this forum that the SOP/letter of intent is a thing too. Did you apply from Pakistan? I am a US graduate myself and will be applying from Pakistan. Do you think I should include this SOP thing?

good boy

Feb 17, 2017
Hi,
I read the whole thread. I am going through the same situation as you were. I just got to know from this forum that the SOP/letter of intent is a thing too. Did you apply from Pakistan? I am a US graduate myself and will be applying from Pakistan. Do you think I should include this SOP thing?
Attaching an SOP will increase your chances. You don't lose anything by providing it, right? Do some search in the forum with the relevant keywords. You will see it yourself.

Reactions: crystal4