+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Strange timeline - should I stay or should I go?

adfletch83

Jul 19, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2015
AOR Received.
31-12-2015
Med's Request
06-10-2015
Hi all,

I'm a Brit married to a Canadian. We're set on applying outland and filling the forms out now, hope to have completed them in a couple of weeks.

I've got a job in the UK until December (covering maternity). She's got a job until March in Canada (1 year contract). I really don't want to spend the next 10-12 (28?) months apart, however I also don't have enough money to allow me to sit tight in Canada and wait for the CIC to do their thing.

I know that if you're working abroad and apply, you have to show that you have plans to settle in Canada, which is totally what we want to do. My question is, is it possible for us to go abroad and work/live together until the application is finished and I get PR? I mean, if we sent the application in in October, I finish my contract in December, then go to Canada to keep her warm through the winter until she finishes in Feb/March and THEN we went to live abroad, would that be allowed?

We've done the old ESL thing in Asia before so we know we can find work easily.

Thanks for opinions,

fletch ;D

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
It's fine, as long as you show strong proof that you intend to reside in Canada once PR is approved, but I'm curious about "the old ESL thing" how do you go about that?

adfletch83

Jul 19, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2015
AOR Received.
31-12-2015
Med's Request
06-10-2015
Aquakitty said:
It's fine, as long as you show strong proof that you intend to reside in Canada once PR is approved, but I'm curious about "the old ESL thing" how do you go about that?
I taught English in South Korea with the EPIK program from Aug 2012 - Aug 2014. That's where I met my now-wife ;D

We're thinking of just going back to Asia on a 1 year contract once my job is done and the application is in. It'll be easy enough to pick up an ESL job as we have experience. At least this way we can be a) earning and b) together.

I'm just wondering if I submit the application with my address being in the UK, then 2-3 months later we move abroad. Would that be ok? Do I need to tell them? Both our residential addresses in UK and Canada will be our parents' house.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Be careful with the timelines of this plan.

You will need to inform CIC if you move to another country. In order to approve the app, CIC will request proof from the sponsor of intent to reside in Canada upon approval. If your app is processed quickly and your wife still has awhile left on a foreign contract that she cannot break and therefore won't be returning to Canada immediately, it is very possible that CIC will refuse the app. Also, even if CIC approves the app, CBSA could refuse to land you as a PR if they suspect the sponsor is not returning to Canada soon.

adfletch83

Jul 19, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2015
AOR Received.
31-12-2015
Med's Request
06-10-2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Be careful with the timelines of this plan.

You will need to inform CIC if you move to another country. In order to approve the app, CIC will request proof from the sponsor of intent to reside in Canada upon approval. If your app is processed quickly and your wife still has awhile left on a foreign contract that she cannot break and therefore won't be returning to Canada immediately, it is very possible that CIC will refuse the app. Also, even if CIC approves the app, CBSA could refuse to land you as a PR if they suspect the sponsor is not returning to Canada soon.
Thank you canuck... I suppose I didn't think of this. I am hoping to produce a thorough, organised yet succinct application in order for us to hopefully go through the sponsorship pretty quickly. But I'd not actually realised that if we do sail through, then we may have to break a contract in order to return, which could cause issues. Warning heeded. We'll have to think about this carefully.

I think we'll just put the application in as soon as we can. Then assess the current position in February. Hoping to be In Process by then.