+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Strange cause of visa rejection

sss_1983

Apr 8, 2015
I NEED SUGGESTION.

I have applied for a temporary residence visa and got my decision today. My purpose of travel was to visit my son and daughter for 2 months. The application was refused based on the fact that the 'My son and daughter in law do not meet the low income cutoff (LICO) for four person. Note that scholarships do not count for LICO".

I would like to point out that I applied for a TRV visa and not a super visa. I SHOWED ENOUGH MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT FOR A 2MONTH VISIT IN CANADA. Also, nowhere in the website, i found that LICO from my son and daughter is a requirement for my travel to Canada. My son and daughter have enough money for my 2 month stay in Canada and they already showed that with proper documentation. Why is LICO for them is a game changing decision for me? I have shown enough money to travel Canada by myself.

And all students in Canada are based on scholarships. Does it mean that no parents of the students are allowed to get a TRV even if they satisfy all other necessary criteria?

Please help what should i do.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
All students in Canada are certainly not scholarship based. In fact for international students - it's a small minority that are on scholarships - most pay their own way.

It sounds to me like they may have missed the evidence you provided showing your funds. If you have enough funds yourself - there should have been no reason to refuse you for financial reasons. What amount did you show? I assume it was over $5K?

You haven't mentioned if your son and daughter in law are international students in Canada or permanent residents/citizens. If it's the latter, then it's possible your application was processed as a super visa application rather than a regular visitor visa (in which case the LICO refusal would make sense).

sss_1983

Apr 8, 2015
I showed 11000CAD. Also, my son and daughter in law are international students and they showed 13000CAD in there account when they sent me the invitation letter. I applied for temporary resident visa for two months because they are expecting a baby. I showed my documents with property also. Yes, i think, they somehow treated my application for a super visa or something but i didn't apply for that.

Is there any way i can let them know about this or do anything else?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sss_1983 said:
I showed 11000CAD. Also, my son and daughter in law are international students and they showed 13000CAD in there account when they sent me the invitation letter. I applied for temporary resident visa for two months because they are expecting a baby. I showed my documents with property also. Yes, i think, they somehow treated my application for a super visa or something but i didn't apply for that.

Is there any way i can let them know about this or do anything else?
If your son and daughter in law are international students - then it's not possible they treated the application as a super visa application since they don't qualify to apply as international students. My guess is that they overlooked your financial information. But again, that's just a guess.

You can certainly send a letter to the visa office requesting reconsideration - however there's a good chance that won't work. Probably better to apply again - you might want to consider excluding your son and daugher's financial information since they can't show very much money - and making sure the application focuses on your financials.

sss_1983

Apr 8, 2015
"You can certainly send a letter to the visa office requesting reconsideration " - how can i do that? should i send that letter via email? to which address? please help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sss_1983 said:
"You can certainly send a letter to the visa office requesting reconsideration " - how can i do that? should i send that letter via email? to which address? please help.
Send an email to the visa office responsible for processing your application. I don't know the email address. You'll have to look for it on the CIC web site.

Again, I would say this option has a very low chance of succeeding. If time is short, apply again.