+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stranded - No PR card- Outside of Canada

Bergzz

Nov 28, 2022
I have a couple of questions relating to my situation. Any help would be massivley appreciated. The situation is a little complicated but I will try to keep it brief. I will put the questions first in case anyone has a hard answer without needing to read my story.

-If i fly back into Canada on a second passport as a tourist, will I risk/ renoucne my permanent residence status upon entering (even if I don't tell them about my PR)?
-Does anyone know about lost PR cards and if immigration activley return them to you if they have them?

SITUATION

I discovered my card was missing 36 hours before an essential work trip starting on the 17th of November to the UK (not attending this trip at this juncture could possibly have cost me my job).

Initially, I figured it had been lost at Vancouver airport returning from San Diego on October 10th as that was the last time I needed to use it. I filed a report with airport lost and found, and drove to the airport to force the issue quickly in person. Lost and found said they had no record, but they referred me to the Canadian immigration office as they sometimes hold lost immigration documents. The lady on duty at immigration at this time said she had no record. I then spent over 12 hours searching and re-searching every nook and cranny of my apartment, inquiring with venues I have visited etc. I was utterly perplexed how this had been lost, but in the back of my mind after exhausting all options, I felt that despite what I had been told, it must have been at the airport.

It was now time for my flight to the UK, so upon checking in, I went BACK to the Canadian Immigration Office, and asked them to check again. Luckily, a more competent member of staff was on hand, and looked through the dossier more thoroughly, finding my name. She had a note that it has been sent to the "permanent residents department". She said she thinks that they maybe destroy these cards however (no atempt to contact me about this has been made). She gave me a phone number, but it has proved impossible to get in touch with a human. Also, this number also does not work at all from abroad. Friends in Canda have tried, to no avail, I've web formed them a bunch, nada.

Upon arriving in the UK I have submitted two (becasue the first was returned) urgent Permanent Residents Travel Document applications. The first was rejected for "payment missing". This was patently false as I pointed out in my second submission. You cannot submit to the system without payment, and the funds had cleared my bank/ I double checked the confirmation THEY sent me.

I then did a second submission as my first was innacessable. Today, my second and first submission were returned as "wrong application type". Again, false. I very much meet the criteria for a PRTD, being outside Canda with a lost card. I have had absolutley no communication from IRCC as to why the application was returned. They have not messaged me (checked spam etc) via email, nor is there any messaging facility in the PR portal.

The only thing I can think of here is that as they have my PR card, they are rejecting the applications (although I have no way of knowing this as they are hopeless communicators with an abhorent system). I have been exceedingly thorough in my applications. I have recieved no communication on a number of inquiries I sent to them regarding this issue over the past 2 weeks.

I have a second passport and am considering re-entering on that and just pretending to be a tourist until they eventually sort it out. I very much doubt they would know about this at the airport, I am just worried this would bite me in the arse later.

I'm currnelty stranded in the UK, expending unbudgeted funds, paying for care for my dog in Canada, and cancelling Christmas plans to see family in another country. The initial losing of the card at the airport was my fault, but the radio silence and errors from IRCC afterwards have certainly made things much worse.

Any help with the questions above or other tips appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a couple of questions relating to my situation. Any help would be massivley appreciated. The situation is a little complicated but I will try to keep it brief. I will put the questions first in case anyone has a hard answer without needing to read my story.

-If i fly back into Canada on a second passport as a tourist, will I risk/ renoucne my permanent residence status upon entering (even if I don't tell them about my PR)?
-Does anyone know about lost PR cards and if immigration activley return them to you if they have them?

SITUATION

I discovered my card was missing 36 hours before an essential work trip starting on the 17th of November to the UK (not attending this trip at this juncture could possibly have cost me my job).

Initially, I figured it had been lost at Vancouver airport returning from San Diego on October 10th as that was the last time I needed to use it. I filed a report with airport lost and found, and drove to the airport to force the issue quickly in person. Lost and found said they had no record, but they referred me to the Canadian immigration office as they sometimes hold lost immigration documents. The lady on duty at immigration at this time said she had no record. I then spent over 12 hours searching and re-searching every nook and cranny of my apartment, inquiring with venues I have visited etc. I was utterly perplexed how this had been lost, but in the back of my mind after exhausting all options, I felt that despite what I had been told, it must have been at the airport.

It was now time for my flight to the UK, so upon checking in, I went BACK to the Canadian Immigration Office, and asked them to check again. Luckily, a more competent member of staff was on hand, and looked through the dossier more thoroughly, finding my name. She had a note that it has been sent to the "permanent residents department". She said she thinks that they maybe destroy these cards however (no atempt to contact me about this has been made). She gave me a phone number, but it has proved impossible to get in touch with a human. Also, this number also does not work at all from abroad. Friends in Canda have tried, to no avail, I've web formed them a bunch, nada.

Upon arriving in the UK I have submitted two (becasue the first was returned) urgent Permanent Residents Travel Document applications. The first was rejected for "payment missing". This was patently false as I pointed out in my second submission. You cannot submit to the system without payment, and the funds had cleared my bank/ I double checked the confirmation THEY sent me.

I then did a second submission as my first was innacessable. Today, my second and first submission were returned as "wrong application type". Again, false. I very much meet the criteria for a PRTD, being outside Canda with a lost card. I have had absolutley no communication from IRCC as to why the application was returned. They have not messaged me (checked spam etc) via email, nor is there any messaging facility in the PR portal.

The only thing I can think of here is that as they have my PR card, they are rejecting the applications (although I have no way of knowing this as they are hopeless communicators with an abhorent system). I have been exceedingly thorough in my applications. I have recieved no communication on a number of inquiries I sent to them regarding this issue over the past 2 weeks.

I have a second passport and am considering re-entering on that and just pretending to be a tourist until they eventually sort it out. I very much doubt they would know about this at the airport, I am just worried this would bite me in the arse later.

I'm currnelty stranded in the UK, expending unbudgeted funds, paying for care for my dog in Canada, and cancelling Christmas plans to see family in another country. The initial losing of the card at the airport was my fault, but the radio silence and errors from IRCC afterwards have certainly made things much worse.

Any help with the questions above or other tips appreciated.
- You need to be holding either a valid PR card or a valid PRTD in order to fly to Canada. You cannot fly using a second passport since this requires you to get an eTA and it's impossible for you to get an eTA as a PR. So it's mandatory you have either a PR card or PRTD if you want to fly. You won't be allowed to board the plane for Canada without one of these things. Entering as a tourist is not feasible.
- Alternative is to fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a land border crossing.

Bergzz

Nov 28, 2022
- You need to be holding either a valid PR card or a valid PRTD in order to fly to Canada. You cannot fly using a second passport since this requires you to get an eTA and it's impossible for you to get an eTA as a PR. So it's mandatory you have either a PR card or PRTD if you want to fly. You won't be allowed to board the plane for Canada without one of these things. Entering as a tourist is not feasible.
- Alternative is to fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a land border crossing.
I have looked into re-entering through the US, but it does not seem I have the documents to do so.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

I have my intitial PR confirmation letter (whihc has a date on it that is now expired - although PR does not expire), passports, credit cards etc. Pictures of my lost PR card even. Is this something they would accept in your view?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have looked into re-entering through the US, but it does not seem I have the documents to do so.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

I have my intitial PR confirmation letter (whihc has a date on it that is now expired - although PR does not expire), passports, credit cards etc. Pictures of my lost PR card even. Is this something they would accept in your view?
You are good with your passport and COPR (pr confirmation letter). You can enter based on those. Quite frankly, even if you didn't have your COPR, they would be able to see in their systems that you are a PR.

Reactions: Ponga

Bergzz

Nov 28, 2022
You are good with your passport and COPR (pr confirmation letter). You can enter based on those. Quite frankly, even if you didn't have your COPR, they would be able to see in their systems that you are a PR.
Weird that they can't just do that with a flight and lots of supporting documention.

Thanks very much for the help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Weird that they can't just do that with a flight and lots of supporting documention.

Thanks very much for the help.
Higher security requirements and other standards for flying. That's the simple answer.

Anyway, you have the US border option available to you.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It would be a very bad idea to `pretend' that you are a visitor when you are a PR. If CBSA got wind of this, it could be a big problem for you. Appeasing the airline is one thing, but misrepresenting yourself is a completely different story.