+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Still waiting for my ITA but work permit expiry is looming

skullmaster

Jul 15, 2015
Hey all,

Here's the run-down of my situation.
I've opened a profile and submitted all my documents for PR back in October 2017. My score was a bit low due to not having any work experience outside of Canada (had just graduated high school when I came to study here) so I've been taking CELPIP tests ever since; just took my third one last Saturday.

I've been sitting at 439 points and I know I'm frustratingly close to getting into a draw but my post-graduate work permit is expiring at the end of December this year.
I've been trying to find out if i can extend my work permit even though I don't have an LMIA since according to my lawyer my permit exempted me and my employer from getting one.

Now I'm slowly starting to get full on panicked. Is it possible that there is no any other way possible to extend my work permit so I can fulfill 3 years of employment here in Canada?
I don't know what other options I have in case my newest CELPIP scores are not 9 or above. I know that PNP nomination is a possibility but a year long wait is way too long for me.

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Have you maxed out your IELTS scores? That's typically the easiest way to increase your points.

skullmaster

Jul 15, 2015
Have you maxed out your IELTS scores? That's typically the easiest way to increase your points.
Hi,
I haven't taken the IELTS test, I've only taken the CELPIP so far.
My latest scores from the test I took before the one last Saturday were L: 10 R:12 W:8 S: 10

Maybe I should consider taking the IELTS as well? I hear it's harder than the CELPIP but at this point I'll try anything.

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
My latest scores from the test I took before the one last Saturday were L: 10 R:12 W:8 S: 10

Maybe I should consider taking the IELTS as well? I hear it's harder than the CELPIP but at this point I'll try anything.
You probably want to try IELTS. I heard that CELPIP Writing is next to impossible to score high.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hi,

I think your scores are very good in my opinion(baring the writing). I don't think you really need to do an IELTS.

skullmaster

Jul 15, 2015
I think your scores are very good in my opinion(baring the writing). I don't think you really need to do an IELTS.
Thank you! Yeah, the Writing section was the only reason why I took the test again in the first place. I guess there isn't much I can do these next 10 days but to wait.

tanush14

Jun 13, 2018
Hi,

Do a quick search on IELTS vs CELPIP on this forum itself and you will find many posts suggesting IELTS for better scores. Looking at the situation, I would also suggest to try IELTS once and give your best, it may help boost your score..and it’s always better to try options to increase your score instead of waiting for CRS cut off to come down.

skullmaster

Jul 15, 2015
Do a quick search on IELTS vs CELPIP on this forum itself and you will find many posts suggesting IELTS for better scores. Looking at the situation, I would also suggest to try IELTS once and give your best, it may help boost your score..and it’s always better to try options to increase your score instead of waiting for CRS cut off to come down.
For sure, I've already booked a test with IELTS. I've heard from a friend that a native speaker she knew was in my same situation and after 3 CELPIP tries, switched over to IELTS and managed to get the scores she needed.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I've been trying to find out if i can extend my work permit even though I don't have an LMIA since according to my lawyer my permit exempted me and my employer from getting one.

No. If you studied in Canada and got a PGWP, you were exempt for the PGWP, but you cannot renew a PGWP. Depends on your NOC and local job market (and how much your employer wants to keep you) whether it is difficult to get an LMIA.

Now I'm slowly starting to get full on panicked. Is it possible that there is no any other way possible to extend my work permit so I can fulfill 3 years of employment here in Canada?

Depends what your country of citizenship is.... you can look at IEC programs -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp?_ga=2.124671306.1312891838.1532977626-2132069148.1531856518

I don't know what other options I have in case my newest CELPIP scores are not 9 or above. I know that PNP nomination is a possibility but a year long wait is way too long for me.

Imagine how much longer that year will be if you wait another six months to apply.... BTW your points should increase when you complete another year of Canadian work experience...

skullmaster

Jul 15, 2015
Hey, thanks for your reply!
I know that the PGWP cannot be renewed but I figured there would've been an option to extend or obtain another work permit if a person is working towards PR and is trying to fulfill 3 years of employment ( and I do have a contract until mid-2019).

Would IEC be compatible with EE? I'm Italian but have been living and working here for 3 years now after graduating so I think I should be eligible.

As for PNP, I'm just not sure I would get implied status by just applying or if would still be able to keep my EE application open (which i would like, since I'm very close to get into the pool).

Last edited: