+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps for final PR paperwork

Ambiance44

Oct 6, 2008
Dear forum members,

I am a Canadian citizen currently working in the US. My wife (Indian-citizen, also living in US) recently got the Confirmation of Permanent Residence, and it is valid till September 19, 2018.

For the time being, we would like to go to Canada and get her immigration status established, then come back to the US to wrap everything up; then move permanently within a few months. Can we do this? So, can we go to Toronto, apply for a SIN for her, etc., and then return to the US within a week or so?

Sincerely, Vishal

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
That is called a "soft landing" and is definitely fine.

sugan28

Star Member
Apr 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2015
AOR Received.
17-09-2015
File Transfer...
26-10-2015
Passport Req..
24-02-2016
Thank you for the quick response. Do I need to take any appointments for her, so that we can plan our trip accordingly?
No appointment necessary. Landing will be part of when you cross the border. You should have Canadian address for PR card.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Can we do this?
Yes

So, can we go to Toronto, apply for a SIN for her, etc., and then return to the US within a week or so?
Yes, certainly for the SIN. Just walk in to any Services Canada office with her passport and copy of the stamped CoPR. No appointment necessary (I think you can even do it at Toronto Airport as there is a Services Canada there). I am not sure what your 'etc.' might be. You can have them apply for her PR Card as long as you can supply a Canadian residential address, but likely to take 2 - 4 months to arrive. You can get a Canadian bank account. You cannot convert driving licences nor apply for OHIP until you are actually living there and can prove it with documentation.

Reactions: Ambiance44

Ambiance44

Oct 6, 2008
Good day!

According to this www.canada.ca web page, the only documents my wife will need to present when we land in Canada are: her CoPR, a valid passport, and a permanent resident visa counterfoil (which I believe is the sticker in her passport). Is that truly it?

We have a relative in Toronto whose house we will be staying at temporarily, so we will provide their address for all postal mail.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
According to this www.canada.ca web page, the only documents my wife will need to present when we land in Canada are: her CoPR, a valid passport, and a permanent resident visa counterfoil (which I believe is the sticker in her passport). Is that truly it?
Yes

We have a relative in Toronto whose house we will be staying at temporarily, so we will provide their address for all postal mail.
Fine. If you give that address for them to send your PR Card too. Just make sure you trust your relative enough to then courier it on to you in 2 - 3 months when it arrives.

Ambiance44

Oct 6, 2008
I want to thank everyone in this forum that has helped me throughout our filing process. We arrived in Calgary 4 days ago and visited several attractions, including the absolutely beautiful Banff National Park.

The entire immigration process was simpler than I expected. Everyone at the airport was very helpful and welcoming. Before landing, the airline staff distributed declaration forms, which we had to fill out with some basic information such as where we were coming from, approximate value of items we were bringing with us, etc. After landing, all passengers were directed to either the "Citizens and Permanent Residents", or "Foreign Nationals" queues. We of course had to go to the Foreign Nationals queue. The immigration officer inspected all of our papers, then welcomed us to Canada and directed us to a nearby office where landed immigrants were being helped. The officer that was processing our papers was very pleasant to work with. We only needed to present the CoPR and passports with single-entry Canadian visas. She explained that we need to submit a form (via fax or online) confirming our Canadian address, and the landed immigrant cards will be delivered there within 6-8 weeks.

One thing to keep in mind is that newly landed immigrants need to have an itemized list of everything that they will be bringing to Canada, even if the items will be arriving later by cargo. The itemized list needs to be very specific; for example, if you are bringing a laptop, then list the model number and value of the laptop, with proper receipts whenever available. Anything that is not included in the list is subject to import tax later on when items are brought in to Canada. The officer emphasized that the original CoPR papers need to be cared for and saved in a safe place because we will need them when we are ultimately applying for citizenship; it is nearly impossible to get replacements for misplaced CoPR papers, so obtaining citizenship will become very difficult as a consequence.

The next morning we went to get Social Insurance Numbers for everyone. The staff in the Services Canada office was also very friendly. We had to present the CoPR and our passports. Keep birth certificates for kids ready, just in case. After processing all the SIN paperwork, the agent gave us printouts with the new SINs, and informed us that the cards will be mailed to our Canadian address in 6-8 weeks. Same thing with health cards.

Once again, my most sincere thanks to everyone that helped me in the process.

Reactions: YVR123