Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi,
I already live in Canada, and I just got my PR approved on IRCC website. I am waiting for my COPR to arrive in the mail in the next few days. I believe the next step that is required after I get the COPR is the official landing. I've been told by IRCC customer service that for the landing I'll have to book an appointment at a local immigration office. However, I usually hear that most people just do flagpoling by going to the border. Can you tell me if both options are always possible and which alternative is better?

Also, what is the average wait time if I have to schedule an appointment at an immigration office (I'm in Vancouver)? Can I already start scheduling it now, even if I haven't got my COPR yet? I'm worried I may have to wait too long before getting an appointment, so it would be worth to start scheduling it, at least.

In case I opt for flagpoling instead, can I go to any entry point at the border with the US, or only some of them are enabled to do the immigration papers?

SuperSaiyanGod

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
BC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-07-2017
Nomination.....
28-07-2017
AOR Received.
14-08-2017
Passport Req..
02-01-2018
Hi,
I already live in Canada, and I just got my PR approved on IRCC website. I am waiting for my COPR to arrive in the mail in the next few days. I believe the next step that is required after I get the COPR is the official landing. I've been told by IRCC customer service that for the landing I'll have to book an appointment at a local immigration office. However, I usually hear that most people just do flagpoling by going to the border. Can you tell me if both options are always possible and which alternative is better?

Also, what is the average wait time if I have to schedule an appointment at an immigration office (I'm in Vancouver)? Can I already start scheduling it now, even if I haven't got my COPR yet? I'm worried I may have to wait too long before getting an appointment, so it would be worth to start scheduling it, at least.

In case I opt for flagpoling instead, can I go to any entry point at the border with the US, or only some of them are enabled to do the immigration papers?

Just go to peace arch border in white rock, even if you don't have US visa they have a small dividing point from where you can take a U turn without crossing US immigration. After that tell the Canadian officer that you want to complete landing and he will take care of it from there.

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Just go to peace arch border in white rock, even if you don't have US visa they have a small dividing point from where you can take a U turn without crossing US immigration. After that tell the Canadian officer that you want to complete landing and he will take care of it from there.
Do you know if Point Roberts is an option too? I don't drive, and it seems the easiest one to reach with a bus from the city. However, since it's not a major entry point, I was wondering if they can process my immigration papers over there as well.

SuperSaiyanGod

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
BC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-07-2017
Nomination.....
28-07-2017
AOR Received.
14-08-2017
Passport Req..
02-01-2018
Do you know if Point Roberts is an option too? I don't drive, and it seems the easiest one to reach with a bus from the city. However, since it's not a major entry point, I was wondering if they can process my immigration papers over there as well.
I'm not sure, for walking I heard abbotsford is the best option. Take a bus there then cab to the border from there and walk to the US side. Tell them you are flag polling. Heads up if you don't have US visa they will give you an official rejection entry letter and after that you will talk to Canadian officer who will take care of stuff from there.

Last edited:

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
I'm not sure, for walking I heard abbotsford is the best option. Take a bus there then cab to the border. From there and walk to the US side. Tell them you are flag polling. Heads up if you don't have US visa they will give you a official rejection entry letter and after that you will talk to Canadian officer who will take care of stuff from there.
I was googling a bit, and both on this and other forums I have read about somebody saying that they were able to do their landing at Point Roberts. While it would be pretty quick to do everything there (no traffic and no crowd), I only fear the officers there may not be very good at doing immigration stuff.

I'll check if I can find a bus to Peace Arch or to Pacific Highway (not sure if anybody has tried this last one); otherwise, I'll just try Point Roberts.

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
I got my COPR today, and landed today as soon as I got it. In the end, I did go to Point Roberts with public transportation. It was easy, cheap, and there was no line. It took me less than 4 hours from downtown Vancouver to go, do the paperwork, and go back.

twranks

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
I got my COPR today, and landed today as soon as I got it. In the end, I did go to Point Roberts with public transportation. It was easy, cheap, and there was no line. It took me less than 4 hours from downtown Vancouver to go, do the paperwork, and go back.
Congrats! I plan on landing tomorrow at the same location with transit. Do you know what would be the best time to go there and what the actual address is so I can look up on google maps? Thanks!

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Congrats! I plan on landing tomorrow at the same location with transit. Do you know what would be the best time to go there and what the actual address is so I can look up on google maps? Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply... I went in the early afternoon... around 4pm, and there was nobody. Not sure if it may get more crowded in the late afternoon, when people get back from work.

About the address, go to google maps, set your destination to a point just before the customs on the Canadian side, and check how to get there with public transit. From Downtown Vancouver, I just had to get the SkyTrain plus a bus, and I was at the customs in about a 10-minute walk.

Reactions: twranks

manmoi31

Jul 21, 2017
I am planning to do my landing at point
roberts tmrw
have you done your landing??

Reactions: twranks

rcar

Nov 15, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have a question in regards to the CoPR. I received a letter on Oct 19th stating the following:
"This refers to the Application for Permanent Residence you made under the Spouse or
Common-Law Partner in Canada Class.
We are pleased to advise you that processing of your application has been completed. The
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office in Vancouver Immigration will contact
you to arrange an appointment for the finalization of your permanent resident application."

Is this CoPR? I haven't received anything else since and I've heard that it can take months to receive an appointment at the Vancouver Immigration office.

Do you think I can take this letter and all my other documents to the border and land by flagpoling?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi everyone,

I have a question in regards to the CoPR. I received a letter on Oct 19th stating the following:
"This refers to the Application for Permanent Residence you made under the Spouse or
Common-Law Partner in Canada Class.
We are pleased to advise you that processing of your application has been completed. The
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office in Vancouver Immigration will contact
you to arrange an appointment for the finalization of your permanent resident application."

Is this CoPR? I haven't received anything else since and I've heard that it can take months to receive an appointment at the Vancouver Immigration office.

Do you think I can take this letter and all my other documents to the border and land by flagpoling?

They have recently changed the process for at least some Canada based applicants. Instead of sending a passport request from Visa office, they directly send a landing interview request. So there is no COPR, you directly do a landing interview at a local office and then you become PR. No, flagpoling is then needed.

rcar

Nov 15, 2018
Thanks so much for your reply!! Well the thing is I don’t want to wait months for a landing interview because I want to go to school and be able to apply for student loans etc. So I’d like to expedite the process by flagpoling, if I can. Does the documentation I have so far allow me to flagpole, or is my only option having to wait for an appointment?