+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

step son

skumar1981

Jan 17, 2023
Hi All,

I am in process of applying work permit and thinking to apply for EE. I have a step son of 7 years old and started with legal adoption process in india and it is taking time to get official documents from the authorities.

Meanwhile, can i file his application along with my application as step child (as biological mother is also travelling and filing for visa) or do i need wait till adoption completes to file visa application (work permit or EE?)

Please suggest.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi All,

I am in process of applying work permit and thinking to apply for EE. I have a step son of 7 years old and started with legal adoption process in india and it is taking time to get official documents from the authorities.

Meanwhile, can i file his application along with my application as step child (as biological mother is also travelling and filing for visa) or do i need wait till adoption completes to file visa application (work permit or EE?)

Please suggest.
Its best tp complete the process and then start the application with complete docs as in case you start it and get ITA. IRCC only give 60 days time period to submit all docs and in case the adoption process is still in process it can create a problem for you. Rest is your choice.

skumar1981

Jan 17, 2023
Its best tp complete the process and then start the application with complete docs as in case you start it and get ITA. IRCC only give 60 days time period to submit all docs and in case the adoption process is still in process it can create a problem for you. Rest is your choice.
Thank you. Can i declare him as step son and process my application as my employer is constantly following me to work-permit visa application. Once we receive the adoption documents, can i update his visa accordingly?

If i declare him as stepson, will it affect his study? or stay in canada or medical benefits??

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi All,

Please suggest.
You don't need adoption papers if mother of child is married to you.

rajpotula

Star Member
Aug 27, 2016
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
20-08-2020
Thank you. Can i declare him as step son and process my application as my employer is constantly following me to work-permit visa application. Once we receive the adoption documents, can i update his visa accordingly?

If i declare him as stepson, will it affect his study? or stay in canada or medical benefits??
I think you can go ahead and apply and include him in the application as your step-son.

I have a step daughter who was 20 when we applied for EE. Her mother passed away in 2012, I re-married in 2015 and moved to Canada from India in 2017 along with my step daughter (She had a student permit and I had a work permit). I applied for EE in 2020, including her in the application as my step daughter. We had no trouble, and we got our PR in January 2022 (delayed because of covid). You should have no problems at all because her mother is still with you. Just make sure you submit all the documentation. I had also submitted pictures throughout years she had been with me, just to show how close we are. All the best! :)