+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Step-mother is a Canadian Citizen, I am 22 years old can I be sponsored by her?

icyyd

Jan 27, 2014
Ahmedabad, India
Visa Office......
CHC Bangalore - VFS Ahmedabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2015
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
25-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2015
LANDED..........
28-04-2015
Hello everyone,
I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong section, please mind my noobness.
To get to the point, my father will be getting married to a Canadian citizen. As the topic suggests I would like to know whether I qualify to get PR or citizenship on the basis of this marriage and my father will soon be citizen as well. However, I am 22 years old and an Indian-born citizen. Please help me and advise as I would like to pursue my Post-Grad in Canada. Will the path to PR through my studies in Canada be easier/faster then if done through my stepmother>father>then me?

Once again, if my post isnt clear or in the wrong section, I apologize. Let me know and I will correct whatever the issue is. Thanks in advance.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
icyyd said:
Hello everyone,
I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong section, please mind my noobness.
To get to the point, my father recently got married to a Canadian citizen. As the topic suggests I would like to know whether I qualify to get PR or citizenship on the basis of this marriage and my father will soon be citizen as well. However, I am 22 years old and Indian-born citizen. Please help me and advise as I would like to pursue my Post-Grad in Canada. Will the path to PR through my studies in Canada be easier/faster then if done through my stepmother>father>then me?

Once again, if my post isnt clear or in the wrong section, I apologize. Let me know and I will correct whatever the issue is. Thanks in advance.
I assume your step-mom is sponsoring your father to become a PR?

Since you are already 22, you would only be considered a dependent and eligible to be included in your father's PR application, if you meet the following:
A child who is 22 years of age or older if that person has depended on the financial support of the parent(s) and has attended school continuously as a full-time student since before the age of 22

If you are not currently enrolled full time in school, then you will not qualify under any family class sponsorship, and will need to find a way to immigrate or get a study visa to Canada on your own.

icyyd

Jan 27, 2014
Ahmedabad, India
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2015
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
25-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2015
LANDED..........
28-04-2015
Thank you so much for such a quick response. Yes I am currently enrolled in school as a full-time student (Software Engineering) and yes my step-mother will be filing for my dad's PR.

I know there cant be an exact figure but just in the ballpark, how much time would this process take, meaning when would I be getting my PR if I waited for my dad to get it and then file for my own? Would me going there to study and applying for a PNP at a place like Saskatchewan be faster?

Once again your response is highly appreciated, if you can educate me a little more I would be glad. Thanks

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
icyyd said:
Thank you so much for such a quick response. Yes I am currently enrolled in school as a full-time student (Software Engineering) and yes my step-mother will be filing for my dad's PR.

I know there cant be an exact figure but just in the ballpark, how much time would this process take, meaning when would I be getting my PR if I waited for my dad to get it and then file for my own? Would me going there to study and applying for a PNP at a place like Saskatchewan be faster?

Once again your response is highly appreciated, if you can educate me a little more I would be glad. Thanks
You won't get PR separately from your father's. You will get PR same time as your father's if you are being sponsored as a dependent B. Keep in mind, you must continue your education full time studies up to the time you get your PR. The moment you stop taking full time studying while PR is in process, you will become disqualified. So be prepared to keep spending money and continuing your university studies until you get your PR.

icyyd

Jan 27, 2014
Ahmedabad, India
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2015
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
25-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2015
LANDED..........
28-04-2015
Alright so if I understand correctly, as long as I study in Canada as a full-time student, I will get PR at the same time as my dad? is that right? Does it matter if I change institutes in the meantime or anything like that?

SOrry if my questions are repetitive, I am just trying to understand the subject fully. Thank you once again for all the input so far. :D

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
icyyd said:
Alright so if I understand correctly, as long as I study in Canada as a full-time student, I will get PR at the same time as my dad? is that right? Does it matter if I change institutes in the meantime or anything like that?

SOrry if my questions are repetitive, I am just trying to understand the subject fully. Thank you once again for all the input so far. :D
I think you can even change universities, so long as you upkeep your full time studies until you and your father gets PR. Keep in mind, the moment you become common law (after 12 months of living together) or get married at any stage before you get PR, you become disqualified as well.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
icyyd said:
It doesn't matter if you change schools, and it doesn't matter what country the school is in. The important thing is maintaining official "full time" status as a student at whatever university you are at.

How is your dad applying for PR... inland? Or outland, and if outland what is the visa office? This will help give an approx time you need to wait to get PR status.

Also note until you get PR status, I believe you'll be paying full international student rates for university in Canada, which is pretty expensive.

icyyd

Jan 27, 2014
Ahmedabad, India
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2015
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
25-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2015
LANDED..........
28-04-2015
My dad will be applying outland, the office would be New Delhi. If he applies inland is their any advantage, i.e faster process? And yes I am aware about the University fees, thanks for pointing it out, I guess I'll have to deal with that till I get my PR.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
icyyd said:
My dad will be applying outland, the office would be New Delhi. If he applies inland is their any advantage, i.e faster process? And yes I am aware about the University fees, thanks for pointing it out, I guess I'll have to deal with that till I get my PR.
It won't be a faster process through inland. It is one of the longest process. The only advantage for inland is the ability for your father to apply for owp after 1st stage which is at 10 months. Dependents like yourself will not be able to apply for owp as it would disqualify you from sponsorship due to breaking education studies. The father must remain in Canada during the entire process from beginning to landing if they choose inland.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
screech339 said:
It won't be a faster process through inland. It is one of the longest process. The only advantage for inland is the ability for your father to apply for owp after 1st stage which is at 10 months. Dependents like yourself will not be able to apply for owp as it would disqualify you from sponsorship due to breaking education studies. The father must remain in Canada during the entire process from beginning to landing if they choose inland.
I believe (but not certain) than an applicant is eligible for Canadian-level cheaper tuition rates, if they have AIP/stage 1 approval with an inland app.

However i'm not 100% certain of this or how tuition rules work, and New Delhi is one of the quicker visa offices out there so you could reasonably expect full PR in around 1 year or the same time it takes for just stage 1 approval of inland.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Rob_TO said:
I believe (but not certain) than an applicant is eligible for Canadian-level cheaper tuition rates, if they have AIP/stage 1 approval with an inland app.
It's up to each university and college to decide whether to charge PR applicants domestic or international tuition after AIP.