+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Staying longer on TRV than originally stated in application?

Minosis

Feb 3, 2017
Visa Office......
HAV
App. Filed.......
13-03-2017
Doc's Request.
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
13-05-2017
My mother applied for a visitor visa to come visit me in Canada and she was approved. On her application we stated that we wanted her to come for three weeks, but if we extend that by a couple of weeks because she was able to get more time off of work, and when she enters Canada they see that her return ticket is for 6 weeks stay instead of the 3 weeks stay we originally applied for, will the boarder officers question it or know? Her visa is valid for 6 months, I just want her to come for about 6 weeks. Thank you!

kat3onah

May 13, 2019
Category........
My mother applied for a visitor visa to come visit me in Canada and she was approved. On her application we stated that we wanted her to come for three weeks, but if we extend that by a couple of weeks because she was able to get more time off of work, and when she enters Canada they see that her return ticket is for 6 weeks stay instead of the 3 weeks stay we originally applied for, will the boarder officers question it or know? Her visa is valid for 6 months, I just want her to come for about 6 weeks. Thank you!
I think they have no idea. What matters to them is a visitor does not overstay in Canada. Normally the immigration officers will ask the visitor/traveller how long they plan to stay in Canada. Maybe they check this information on what you write on the Embarkation Card (number of days).

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As above what you put on the original application to get the visa approved is not important it is what someone puts on the arrival documentation when they present themselves to CBSA and the fact they have a return ticket in line with the stay they are requesting should they even be asked about the return ticket date.

Even if someone informs CBSA they want to enter for 2-3 weeks and they enter without having a specific date stamped by CBSA in their passport they could stay upto 6 months if they want regardless of what they told CBSA on entry.