+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Staying in US on H4 while working in Canada on PR

S Anant C

Jan 11, 2021
Hi Team,

I hold an H4 visa of USA on behalf of my husband he stays in USA on H1B. I am on Canadian PR and working in Canada. We are looking to move together some where in USA and I will be coming to Canada daily for my work and will be staying in USA.
Wanted to check
  1. Is there any legal implication which can hamper my PR status ?
  2. And how is it going to impact the days count for my citizenship eligibility ? As I will spending my nights outside Canada .
Please suggest

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a current PR, your trips across the border would count as one full day spent in Canada if you return by 11:59 PM. You can cross the border, buy some gas and return to Canada and it's still one full day in Canada for your PR R.O. You could go across on a Saturday morning and return Sunday night and it's still two full days in Canada.

But...you will going the opposite direction (living in the U.S. and entering/exiting Canada on the same day, which may still count for your citizenship R.O.? If you enter/exit Monday thru Friday, you would still have 20 FULL days per month (240 annually) towards the required 1095 days for citizenship R.O. every 5 years.

As always, wait for others to confirm or dispute.

shri.ca

Sep 14, 2020
H4 visa is meant for staying with family (H1 spouse). You are not allowed to commute to Canada and return to USA on H4. You can confirm it with CBP prior making any commute plans.

Reactions: Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
H4 visa is meant for staying with family (H1 spouse). You are not allowed to commute to Canada and return to USA on H4. You can confirm it with CBP prior making any commute plans.
Thanks for the info!

S Anant C

Jan 11, 2021
Hi Shri,

I hold Canadian PR & H4 visa (both) . Will be working in Canada on PR status

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Shri,

I hold Canadian PR & H4 visa (both) . Will be working in Canada on PR status
The issue will be coming back to the US. US can revoke your H4 if you are wanting to work in Canada. Your biggest issue is the US not Canada. US will likely tell you to choose H4 or PR.

Reactions: Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The OP may be better of trying to obtain an H4 EAD and find a job in the U.S., knowing they will have to be mindful of the R.O. to maintain PR status in Canada...which would be easy for the first two years.