+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Staying in Canada

daemoni

Mar 30, 2008
Hello,

I hope this question hasn't already been answered some where that I haven't had the chance to read yet.

I am a US citizen, visiting in Canada with my fiance. Since I am a US citizen who does not need to work, how long am I allowed to stay in Canada? I read some responses were 6 months, is that only if you need a visa? A Canadian friend said you can stay one day short of a year. Is this true? When I do return to the US to visit my family, how long am I required to stay before returning to Canada? What do I need to tell the border officers?

I appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks!!!

dallasgal8050

Star Member
Dec 5, 2007
From what I read everywhere, this pertains to non-visa countries, you are allowed to stay for up to 6 months, then either return to your country or extend your visa. If you return to your country then you need to stay there for at least 6 months before returning back to Canada.

DG

daemoni

Mar 30, 2008
Thanks, my fiance actually ended up calling immigration and the border office. They both agreed that you can leave for a couple of weeks and then return to start another 6 months.

imjoe

Star Member
Nov 28, 2007
I heard somewhere that if you go for 5 months you need to at least wait the remaining month to expire before you reenter because if you reenter before it will be as if you continued your 5 month stay...

Like I said... I heard it somewhere (not to be taken seriously)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

imjoe said:
I heard somewhere that if you go for 5 months you need to at least wait the remaining month to expire before you reenter because if you reenter before it will be as if you continued your 5 month stay...

Like I said... I heard it somewhere (not to be taken seriously)
there is no set time that you have to leave, if the IO thinks that you are residing in Canada permanently, but just leaving every 6 months, s/he will refuse admission. Especially if you have no ties, job, school, home in home country.

PMM