+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

staying in canada while PR Forms are processing

micah27andrea

Aug 5, 2011
hello... my daughter ( 1 yr) and i currently here in Canada visiting my husband while waiting for our permanent residence. i would like to stay here and make all the process it takes for the immigration procedure. is it possible for us to make an immigration procedure in the Canadian territory so we dont need to go back in europe to process our application for PR here in canada? we only allowed to stay 6 months and the problem is we only 1 month left to stay here in canada... do we need to ask for extension? where? or do we need to exit by the borders and enter again to canada without any problem? please help us. thanks!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Apply for an extension and if the sponsorship is already submitted, attach a copy of the receipt

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp

micah27andrea said:
hello... my daughter ( 1 yr) and i currently here in Canada visiting my husband while waiting for our permanent residence. i would like to stay here and make all the process it takes for the immigration procedure. is it possible for us to make an immigration procedure in the Canadian territory so we dont need to go back in europe to process our application for PR here in canada? we only allowed to stay 6 months and the problem is we only 1 month left to stay here in canada... do we need to ask for extension? where? or do we need to exit by the borders and enter again to canada without any problem? please help us. thanks!

lenk_helen

Jul 24, 2011
Dear Mica,

May I pick your brain. How did you join your husband on TRV ? Did you let the visa issuing office know that you are planning to apply for PR whilst visiting ?
We are in a situation where my husband and I have PR cards, daughter doesn't (she didn't land with us), all three of us are currently in UK however are planning to go to Canada to live permanently next year. So we would need to bring our young daughter with us, preferably on TRV (if we are lucky) so we can start sponsorship from Canada.

Many thanks

Helen

micah27andrea

Aug 5, 2011
lenk_helen said:
Dear Mica,

May I pick your brain. How did you join your husband on TRV ? Did you let the visa issuing office know that you are planning to apply for PR whilst visiting ?
We are in a situation where my husband and I have PR cards, daughter doesn't (she didn't land with us), all three of us are currently in UK however are planning to go to Canada to live permanently next year. So we would need to bring our young daughter with us, preferably on TRV (if we are lucky) so we can start sponsorship from Canada.

Many thanks
Helen

my husband works here in canada, and when he apply for a PR, he includes us in his application while we are in spain. we are a tourist here as of now while waiting for our PR. we hope that it wont affect our application and will receive it this year because its almost a year now since our papers start to process.... and we need to go back in spain on sept because we are allowed only to stay 6 months. and thats our problem now... i dont know if we can ask for an extension or it is easier if we exit buffalo ang enter again in canada, we dont know if they allowed us to do that and give another 6 months to stay....

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Extension applications now take more than 5 months before you get a response from Vegreville and you're on implied status but PR applications are taking along time to process too. If you exited to the US, your visit upon your re-entry may or may not be reset if you only stayed for a few days.

micah27andrea said:
my husband works here in canada, and when he apply for a PR, he includes us in his application while we are in spain. we are a tourist here as of now while waiting for our PR. we hope that it wont affect our application and will receive it this year because its almost a year now since our papers start to process.... and we need to go back in spain on sept because we are allowed only to stay 6 months. and thats our problem now... i dont know if we can ask for an extension or it is easier if we exit buffalo ang enter again in canada, we dont know if they allowed us to do that and give another 6 months to stay....

micah27andrea

Aug 5, 2011
job_seeker said:
Extension applications now take more than 5 months before you get a response from Vegreville and you're on implied status but PR applications are taking along time to process too. If you exited to the US, your visit upon your re-entry may or may not be reset if you only stayed for a few days.

how about if we stay 1or 2 weeks in US, it will be reset again to 6 months when we "enter again" in canada?

lenk_helen

Jul 24, 2011
Hi, was there a problem for him to get you to Canada on visit visa ? what did he say, that you are only visiting, and he did not mention his intentions to sponsor you ?

micah27andrea

Aug 5, 2011
lenk_helen said:
Hi, was there a problem for him to get you to Canada on visit visa ? what did he say, that you are only visiting, and he did not mention his intentions to sponsor you ?

we dont need to get visa to enter canada because we're a citizen of spain. we allowed to stay 6 months in canada without apply to visa.