+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Staying in Canada as a Business Visitor

ZQ2442

Dec 5, 2016
Hi,

I recently married my partner who is a Canadian citizen and we are in the process of getting together and submitting our spouse application for me for Canada. I am a British Citizen and was wondering the following, can I travel to Canada and spend time with my partner for a 3 months at a time as a Business Visitor? I wouldn't be taking any job from the Canadian Labour Force and would continue to work for my UK company remotely while staying in Canada. I wouldn't be stepping onsite to any Canadian business and the moment the application is approved I would be applying for the Canadian branch of my company as it's the same brand but seen as a separate entity.

With this in mind would I be correct in assuming that I wouldn't need a work permit as I won't be working for a Canadian company or taking away from the labour force?

I based my understanding on the 'Business Visitor' section on the CIC site.

Regards,

Zaq

ZQ2442

Dec 5, 2016
Thanks for the response. So if I work remotely from time to time for my company in the UK there won't be a requirement for a work permit? I do not want to jeopardise my immigration application in anyway?

Thanks,

Zaq

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ZQ2442 said:
Thanks for the response. So if I work remotely from time to time for my company in the UK there won't be a requirement for a work permit? I do not want to jeopardise my immigration application in anyway?
As long as you aren't working for any Canadian clients or being paid in Canada, there is no issue.

You will just be a regular visitor here to see your spouse while your sponsorship app processes, not a business visitor.