+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Staying 16 days over six months

sunomono

Apr 18, 2023
Hello,
My mom is visiting me from abroad and shes got a visitor visa.
She has her ticket bought back to our home country, but it is 16 days over the limit that ive read online. Her visa is valid and her passport is good too, the only thing we are kinda confused about is the six months rules.
Does she have to apply for an extension of her stay even though its just 16 days over the limit of six months? We want to avoid any issues with IRCC for her next visit.
Thanks!

MattMatt

Feb 2, 2024
From what I've read online (other people's experience), she could get in trouble when she tries to re-enter the country to visit you or if she applies for any other visa.

It is best to apply for a visitor record extension at least one month before the 6 months visitor visa expires. It will allow her to remain legally in the country (on a 'maintained' status) even if the visitor extension gets denied.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
My mom is visiting me from abroad and shes got a visitor visa.
She has her ticket bought back to our home country, but it is 16 days over the limit that ive read online. Her visa is valid and her passport is good too, the only thing we are kinda confused about is the six months rules.
Does she have to apply for an extension of her stay even though its just 16 days over the limit of six months? We want to avoid any issues with IRCC for her next visit.
Thanks!
It is very important that she apply for a visitor extension or she will be overstaying her visa in Canada which could negatively impact her ability to travel to Canada and other countries. When she leaves a Canada she should send a webform to IRCC indicating that she has left Canada. That will hopefully prevent having to do another medical. If a medical is requested she will need to do one even if she has already left Canada since she did benefit from the extension and spent an extra 16 days past her 6 month stay in Canada.