+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stay with a TRV after a work permit expires

carlpyro

Mar 15, 2018
Hello,

My work permit expires at the end of this month, but I want to stay in Canada another month (of course, not working). Can I use my TRV? Because there is not enough time to change the status to visitor (they request a month in advance to do that) seems to be that my best option is to leave Canada and return, Is that right?

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

My work permit expires at the end of this month, but I want to stay in Canada another month (of course, not working). Can I use my TRV? Because there is not enough time to change the status to visitor (they request a month in advance to do that) seems to be that my best option is to leave Canada and return, Is that right?

Thanks.
Your TRV doesn't allow you to stay in Canada after your work permit has expired. You must apply to change your status to visitor before your work permit expires. The application has to reach CIC before the expiry date on your work permit.

carlpyro

Mar 15, 2018
Hi, Thanks for the quick response. I just applied to change my status as you suggested.
Do you know what happens if I do not have a response before the expiration date of my work permit?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi, Thanks for the quick response. I just applied to change my status as you suggested.
Do you know what happens if I do not have a response before the expiration date of my work permit?
When you apply to extend your stay as a visitor you can stay in the country until a decision is made but you should still stop working once your work permit expires.

carlpyro

Mar 15, 2018
When you apply to extend your stay as a visitor you can stay in the country until a decision is made but you should still stop working once your work permit expires.
Yes, I will not be working after this month. Thank you.