+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stay in Canada with a Work Permit after work contract ends

davidf

Mar 27, 2013
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I can't find this information on the web, I have 3 years work permit link to a company. I just work 6 months for this company and they are laying me off, usual temporary film industry contract. I'm wondering what are my right to stay in Canada after this.

Can I stay in Canada without working for the remaining time of the work permit? (not that I want to do that but just to check if I have to switch to another temporary visa to be clear for the time to recover).

Thanks,

-david

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if you're laid off, you can stay in Canada as long as your work permit is valid.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
amira_mais said:
Even if you're laid off, you can stay in Canada as long as your work permit is valid.
.. you can't work for any other employer tho. Only the one printed on your WP.

davidf

Mar 27, 2013
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok Thanks for the info!

Yep I understood I can't work for anyone else ^^.

Do anyone have an actual official page about this? Can't find anything on the CIC website.

I use to work in the US, and there, in the same situation with an O1, you have to leave after a few days, the company have to inform the immigration services and your work permit stay only valid when you actually work!

Thanks!

-david

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think you'll find this information easily (or at all) on CIC's website. If you want confirmation from the source, call them at 1-888-42-2100.