+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stay in Canada as a visitor after work permit expires - without paying fees?

JonathanDude

Jun 22, 2022
I am currently working in Canada with a work permit.
My work permit expires on a certain date, and in the conditions it says "must leave Canada by [expiry date]".
However, I would like to stay as a visitor after I finish working for tourism.
I know I can ask for a visitor record to extend my stay, but I would like to avoid the long process and $100 fee.
The letter of introduction I got from the embassy before arriving in Canada says I have a valid eTA until a date which is much later than my work permit expiry date. Can I stay in Canada based on this eTA?
If not, can I leave the country when my work permit expires, and then immediately get an eTA and come back?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My work permit expires on a certain date, and in the conditions it says "must leave Canada by [expiry date]".
I know I can ask for a visitor record to extend my stay, but I would like to avoid the long process and $100 fee.
The letter of introduction I got from the embassy before arriving in Canada says I have a valid eTA until a date which is much later than my work permit expiry date. Can I stay in Canada based on this eTA?
If not, can I leave the country when my work permit expires, and then immediately get an eTA and come back?
Short answer is no on the eTA question. You'll go out of status in Canada as soon as your work permit expires if you don't apply for the visitor record.

Yes, you can try leaving Canada (presumably for a short trip to the US) and then re-entering Canada. Keep in mind that you are always at the mercy of CBSA with regards to whether and how long you are allowed back into Canada.

"Safest" option is to apply for the visitor record.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. No. Only if you exited Canada and re-entered using the eta.