+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Status Restoration Refused

Habeshaboi

Feb 11, 2019
Hello please help,

So my Father came to canada on a visitor visa in July of 2017. His visa was valid until January 29 2019, and we applied in mid December of 2018 for an extension.

Just 2 days ago, we received a notification from ircc stating that his request has been refused because his visa expired in January of 2018. It also states that he cannot request and is refused for restoration status, and that he must leave immediately. We are shocked andconfused as to why they would refuse him as his visa did not expire until about 2 weeks ago. I have looked at his visa a million times and it is a multi entry temp resident visa that is valid until January 29 2019.

Can anyone help and give us guidance please?? It seems like the officer that reviewed his file made a mistake, but we do not know how to approach this situation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello please help,

So my Father came to canada on a visitor visa in July of 2017. His visa was valid until January 29 2019, and we applied in mid December of 2018 for an extension.

Just 2 days ago, we received a notification from ircc stating that his request has been refused because his visa expired in January of 2018. It also states that he cannot request and is refused for restoration status, and that he must leave immediately. We are shocked andconfused as to why they would refuse him as his visa did not expire until about 2 weeks ago. I have looked at his visa a million times and it is a multi entry temp resident visa that is valid until January 29 2019.

Can anyone help and give us guidance please?? It seems like the officer that reviewed his file made a mistake, but we do not know how to approach this situation.
There is no mistake. He needs to return home.

The validity of the visa only indicates until when he is allowed into Canada - it doesn't mean that he was allowed to remain in Canada until that date. IRCC is correct. When he was admitted into Canada in July 2017, he was allowed in for the maximum six month visit (this is the default unless they stamp your passport and only give you a shorter period of time). He's been out of status in Canada for over a year now and needs to return home. Given the overstay, recommend he remain in his home country for a year before applying for a new TRV. It's a shame you misunderstood the TRV rules.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Further to what scylla said, the fact that your father has been here for almost 2 years makes it look like he is living here on a temporary visa which is not good for his future TRV applications. I would echo what scylla said about waiting a year (or more) in your home country before your father attempts another application.