Status period before PR

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

Here is my situation:

- I am on visitor visa since Mar 2015
- Some where in 2015 probably June or Jul I obtained OWP. (I can't remember the exact date)
- In Oct 2016, I extend my OWP as my wife graduated and have her PGWP
- I got my PR on Sep 2017.

When trying the form https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do
I notice they ask me the exact periods of my status in Canada. But I am not sure about the date when I moved from visitor visa to OWP in 2015. Is it going to be an issue if I just estimate it?

Last edited:

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Yes, you'd need to be accurate unless you have quite a large amount of buffer days, like a few months, just in case.

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you'd need to be accurate unless you have quite a large amount of buffer days, like a few months, just in case.
So I can estimate the date? Cause visitor or work permit are the same TRV, and will count as the same 1-0.5 days anyway. Am I right?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi guys,

Here is my situation:

- Some where in 2015 probably June or Jul I obtained OWP. (I can't remember the exact date)

I notice they ask me the exact periods of my status in Canada. But I am not sure about the date when I moved from visitor visa to OWP in 2015. Is it going to be an issue if I just estimate it?
1. If you had an open work permit from sometime in 2015 and became a PR in Sept. 2017, if you haven't left Canada for 1 day, after Sept. 2016 you would be eligible to apply for Citizenship in Sept 2019.

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How many days of buffer do you have? I'm sure others will chime in soon.
I think you misunderstand my question. I didn't ask about how many days I should buffer. Perhaps, we don't need to use that from when submitting citizenship application then? Why no one seem to know about the form provided by CIC? https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

Hi

1. If you had an open work permit from sometime in 2015 and became a PR in Sept. 2017, if you haven't left Canada for 1 day, after Sept. 2016 you would be eligible to apply for Citizenship in Sept 2019.
I know I will be eligible by that time for sure. But the form require the exact dates which I don't remember since CBSA took my work permit back. That's why I don't know if it is ok to just estimate the date instead of the exact date.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I think you misunderstand my question. I didn't ask about how many days I should buffer. Perhaps, we don't need to use that from when submitting citizenship application then? Why no one seem to know about the form provided by CIC? https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

I know I will be eligible by that time for sure. But the form require the exact dates which I don't remember since CBSA took my work permit back. That's why I don't know if it is ok to just estimate the date instead of the exact date.
1. You can get a copy of information by applying for verification of status if you really want the exact date. You can guess, but guess on the high side.

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
1. You can get a copy of information by applying for verification of status if you really want the exact date. You can guess, but guess on the high side.
Maybe I was not clear enough. I was on visitor visa until I receive my OWP somewhere Jun-Jul 2015. Means, I didn't leave Canada during the transition of statuses. Even though the rule apply for both visitor status and worker status (both counted for residency requirement as 1/2 rule), but they still require the exact date of transition to be provided in the form, hence the question.

I did a quick search in CIC website about "Verification of status" (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=564&top=12) It does not seem to be the case for me. Again, I didn't leave Canada on visitor visa => receive OWP after leaving => enter Canada on the OWP. I stayed in Canada all the time.

homecanada

Star Member
Jun 1, 2013
Hi guys,

Here is my situation:

You are not eligible yet for Citizenship. You need minimum 2 years from the date of your PR to apply for Citizenship if you are including pre-PR time in Canada.

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are not eligible yet for Citizenship. You need minimum 2 years from the date of your PR to apply for Citizenship if you are including pre-PR time in Canada.
That is not the question though. I am more than aware that I am not qualified YET. It has nothing to do with my question.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Verification of Status document does contain information related to all your temporary and permanent immigrant status in Canada:

A Verification of Status document will contain information that appeared on your original Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence, Work Permit, Study Permit or other immigration documents. This document can be used when you must provide proof of historical immigration information, such as the date and place of entry to Canada.

You may obtain a VOS document outlining the pertinent historical information for the following:
  • Certificate of Departure (IMM 0056)
  • Immigrant Visa and Record of Landing (IMM 1000)/Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688)
  • Visitor Record (IMM 1097 or IMM 1442)
  • Work Permit (IMM 1102 or IMM 1442)
  • Study Permit (IMM 1208 or IMM 1442)
  • Exclusion Order (IMM 1214)
  • Deportation Order (IMM 1215)
  • Departure Order (IMM 5238)
  • Permit to Come Into or Remain in Canada (IMM 1263)
  • Authorization to Return to Canada (IMM 1203)
  • Protected Persons

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5545-application-verification-status-vos-replacement-immigration-document.html
VoS is indeed what you need.

It takes about 6 - 7 months for them to process your request, but since you won't be eligible for naturalization until September 2019 anyway, you have plenty of time.