+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Status of IT Jobs in Alberta Canada

johnwilson

Apr 8, 2009
Hi All,
no offense called.

so many people are applying under AINP-H1B.Just want to share experiences of
people who have tried finding a job in Alberta.
I have just applied and curious about knowing the IT - JOB market in Alberta.

all responses are appreciated.

bendjoe

Aug 23, 2008
johnwilson said:
Hi All,
no offense called.

I heard from a Canadian friend that this is a tough time for all professions. This is the best time to attend school if anyone is planning to do MBA or stuff like that. Even part time jobs are hard to come by at this point of time in his opinion. Alberta is driven by a demand for its raw materials and resources.Its largest trading partner is the USA. So a lot depends on how US is doing.

If one is planning to apply for AINP now they can expect PR in about one year from now. Some improvement is expected by this time next year.

akk

Sep 2, 2008
I applied for jobs. LOTS OF THEM.
No single answer because I am in US.
Akk

johnwilson said:
Hi All,
no offense called.

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
I got this in my inbox... "Thank you for your interest in the XXXXX position. The immigration is always a catch-22 game. No employer will issue the offer letter unless you have a status to work in Canada, but you can't get the work permit until you get the offer letter........
Having that said, I will not be able to help until your process goes through and you have the paperwork to allow you to work in Alberta. "

qwerty1981

Apr 7, 2009
Hi All
I am graduate student (software engineering ) graduating in Fall 09 from California state university. No work experience ....
I am desperately looking for jobs ......in Calgary...Toronto...etc etc ....
My husband has applied through AINP .
Please give tips on the job search ...
It seems very hopeless right now.....
Also i am thinking of pursuing a PHD maybe ..( back up).....University of Alberta is a choice....
Please advise......
Regards................

Ell.Bee

Jan 18, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb - 2009
Doc's Request.
Nov - 2009
Nomination.....
Dec - 2009 CIC App. Filed..: May 2010
AOR Received.
08-23-2010
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
08-23-2010
Med's Done....
09-09-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
03-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-17-2011
LANDED..........
04-06-2011
The whole world economy is doing bad. The Canada banking sector is doing much better than rest of the world. Alberta has many oil companies and they are impacted with the steep drop in oil prices. So it is not only Alberta, its anywhere in the world at this time, there are job crisis. Just keep fingers crossed, and when the economy recovers, there will be jobs, weather US or Alberta.

abhi_hola

Star Member
Nov 16, 2008
last 3 months I am trying for a job, after receiving my nomination; no luck so far; looks like I spent insane amount of money to achieve nothing (sorry, but feeling a tad frustrated);
if anyone can provide me some ways of getting an answer back from a prospective employer! I tried searching in monster & Workopolis;

akk

Sep 2, 2008
The same as me!!

Akk

abhi_hola said:
last 3 months I am trying for a job, after receiving my nomination; no luck so far; looks like I spent insane amount of money to achieve nothing (sorry, but feeling a tad frustrated);
if anyone can provide me some ways of getting an answer back from a prospective employer! I tried searching in monster & Workopolis;

nomad_musafir

Jan 13, 2009
i have resigned to the fact that there is no value in sending even a single resume at this point in time ('in this moment' for akk)
things will be different when you have your pr and then start looking for a job. should open a lot of doors :)

i am an engineer, and am worried about the P.E. requirement for engineering jobs though.

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
A friend of mine landed a job in Edmonton a couple of weeks ago... He was working in the same company here in US and was layoff so he started looking for a job in US.. with not luck he decided to look for a job in Canada b/c he had already PR (applied to FSW a couple of years back). He contracted a Canadian phone number in Vonage and put his Canadian's cousin address. A month later he got several interviews some in person and some by phone... since he was living in US he rejected the personal interviews...

BTW he worked in IT as a senior software engineer...

nomad_musafir

Jan 13, 2009
ingegarcia,

thank you for sharing this info. gives hopes to all of us. look forward to getting my hands on that PR card, Canadian if not US ;)

email2kale

Feb 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-Feb-2009
Nomination.....
03-Dec-2009
AOR Received.
14-Jun-2010
Med's Request
14-Jun-2010
Med's Done....
17-Jun-2010
Passport Req..
22-Jul-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2010
LANDED..........
05-Dec-2010
ingegarcia said:
A friend of mine landed a job in Edmonton a couple of weeks ago... He was working in the same company here in US and was layoff so he started looking for a job in US.. with not luck he decided to look for a job in Canada b/c he had already PR (applied to FSW a couple of years back). He contracted a Canadian phone number in Vonage and put his Canadian's cousin address. A month later he got several interviews some in person and some by phone... since he was living in US he rejected the personal interviews...

BTW he worked in IT as a senior software engineer...
Thanks ingegarcia for giving us some hope...

qwerty1981

Apr 7, 2009
ingegarcia
very good news indeed.
but what about us .with no canadian address to refer....
how do we get interview calls.?
regards

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
Unfortunately each one of us will need to answer that question by oneself and make a calculated risk in time....
In my case once I get PR I have two options... go on vacation to Alberta for 1 month and try to land a job OR ask my wife to go to Alberta for a 1 or 2-month English classes to use her Canadian address/phone... or just move there and try to find a job....

qwerty1981 said:
ingegarcia
very good news indeed.
but what about us .with no canadian address to refer....
how do we get interview calls.?
regards