+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Status before Stage 1 - Inland application

iwannasee

Aug 7, 2013
Hello,

We submitted the inland application last October and still waiting for the Stage 1 approval.

My wife's current status is student (therefore on student visa and study permit). I'm wondering that if she decides to stay at home to be a full time housewife, therefore no longer registered at any university/college in
Canada, will it cause any problem to our application and/or her current status? Her study permit and student visa is valid until 2016.

I've heard that if the CIC checks her information and finds she's no longer a student, they may raise questions and may delay / decline our application. But I'm not sure if this is true.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate your help!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
If your wife chooses to not go back to school, I do not believe it will have an adverse affect on your spousal application.

Your best option if she wishes to no longer attend school would be to apply to change her status from student to visitor. This would give her a valid visa and they would no longer be looking for her in the student databases.

iwannasee

Aug 7, 2013
Thank you for the response.

Will it be easy to get a visitor visa given the intention isn't really 'visiting' but to stay here as a family?

Also when applying for the visitor visa should we clearly mention that we are in the process of the family sponsorship application?

Thanks!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
iwannasee said:
Thank you for the response.

Will it be easy to get a visitor visa given the intention isn't really 'visiting' but to stay here as a family?

Also when applying for the visitor visa should we clearly mention that we are in the process of the family sponsorship application?

Thanks!
Applying to change status to 'visitor' is about the only option you have because she won't be a student and she won't be a worker. Even though she intends to stay as family, it will not be a concern. If you have indeed already filed the sponsorship package, include with her status change documents, proof of your ability to support your spouse for the duration, a copy of the paid application fees as well as a notation that you have begun the sponsorship process and she would like to remain with you until the application has been decided. All of these things combined should easily gain her a status change.

Good luck!

iwannasee

Aug 7, 2013
Thanks Alurra71,

Can we apply this change of status inside Canada? Or do we have to go out and apply then re-enter?

Thank you!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
iwannasee said:
Thanks Alurra71,

Can we apply this change of status inside Canada? Or do we have to go out and apply then re-enter?

Thank you!
No, it can be done online so you don't have to leave.

iwannasee

Aug 7, 2013
Sorry that I have to dig up this old post.

Long story short, we have submitted the sponsorship application and are still at Stage 1, my wife decided not to go to school anymore so we are now trying to change her status from a student visa to a visitor visa. Should I go straight to the website to apply for a visitor visa and notify the immigration office? "ww.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/tourist.asp"

Or is there another standard approach that we should take?

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
She needs to apply to change conditions and extend her stay as a visitor.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp