+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Status after dropping study permit

papasc

Oct 22, 2018
Hi all.

I'm a master student and I'm holding a study permit. if I want to drop this permit, how long the permit is expired?

Thanks.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi all.

I'm a master student and I'm holding a study permit. if I want to drop this permit, how long the permit is expired?

Thanks.
What do you mean by drop the permit. If you mean you no longer are going to be a student them you have to leave Canada as you no longer have status. If your study permit expires them you have 90 days to restore it.

papasc

Oct 22, 2018
What do you mean by drop the permit. If you mean you no longer are going to be a student them you have to leave Canada as you no longer have status. If your study permit expires them you have 90 days to restore it.
I do not finish my master yet but I'm applying for a work permit with a LMIA. I just wonder if I'm not going to be a student, whether does it impact to work permit processing or not? I applied work permit for 1 month.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I do not finish my master yet but I'm applying for a work permit with a LMIA. I just wonder if I'm not going to be a student, whether does it impact to work permit processing or not? I applied work permit for 1 month.
If you drop the permit you don't have legal status in Canada. Wait for work permit approval then automatically you will lose student status and get work status. Dropping student permit only ensures that you have to leave Canada.

papasc

Oct 22, 2018
If you drop the permit you don't have legal status in Canada. Wait for work permit approval then automatically you will lose student status and get work status. Dropping student permit only ensures that you have to leave Canada.
Thanks for your advice.