+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad

dun146

Jun 19, 2019
Hi, I am a Canadian Citizen living in Canada and planning to marry an Indian citizen living in India. We've been engaged for 1.5 years now and want to legally register our marriage in India since we'll opt for Outland Spousal PR application process. Do I need a "Statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad"? I am seeing conflicting information on CIC/Global Affairs Canada website. My fiance and I are in late 30s and can't afford to make any mistakes with marriage registration and outland spousal PR process.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, I am a Canadian Citizen living in Canada and planning to marry an Indian citizen living in India. We've been engaged for 1.5 years now and want to legally register our marriage in India since we'll opt for Outland Spousal PR application process. Do I need a "Statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad"? I am seeing conflicting information on CIC/Global Affairs Canada website. My fiance and I are in late 30s and can't afford to make any mistakes with marriage registration and outland spousal PR process.
You will generally need this - I did not do in India but in most countries you go to Canadian embassy/consulate/high commission and get this in front of a consular officer, takes only a few minutes apart from lining up. But what you need to get locally after - that's what you need to check. Just need to allow time for this.

It is possible to get this done in Canada to take with you but I don't know that process.

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
check this site ,it will clarify this matter ;

https://www.international.gc.ca/gac-amc/about-a_propos/services/authentication-authentification/lieu.aspx?lang=eng&_ga=2.121933133.774971333.1669691189-1970200633.1667851887

spso

Star Member
Dec 29, 2017
I am a PR in Canada and recently got married in India. I had applied for this document from within Canada but they returned it back (after about 3 months) stating "Canada does not issue certificates of non-impediment to marriage. If necessary, the Authentication Service Section or, depending on the country, a Canadian embassy, high commission, or consulate abroad can prepare a statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad".

However, note that for the registration of marriage in India, I dint use my Indian Passport as it has Canadian address and instead used 10th Grade marksheet/certifcate along for other national ids. I believe if i had used the Passport, they would have asked for this document from the embassy.

Again, this is just my personal scenario and YMMV.

EmmaR

Dec 8, 2017
Hi,

Could you please let me know if you were able to arrange this document? Also, did you arrange for the Single status affidavit as well from canada?
I'm also a Canadian Citizen marrying Indian Citizen, and trying to figure out the documents needed to register marriage in India.

phoenix232

Apr 3, 2015
I got the same thing as it's required by SDM when you get your marriage registered.

EDIT : The letter which says Canada doesn't provide any such document was accepted by SDM.

phoenix232

Apr 3, 2015
How did you arrange the non-impediment document? As on their website India is in the list which does not require this document. And I hear stories that they are refusing the requests. https://www.international.gc.ca/gac-amc/about-a_propos/services/authentication-authentification/lieu.aspx?lang=eng

Could you please share the process you follow? And did you arrange for the Single status affidavit as well from canada?

Good thing I revisit threads where I posted if I don't do that I wouldn't have been notified of a reply.

Anyway,

I sent my query to india.consular@international.gc.ca and this was their reply. They also gave me forms to fill. 1st form was basic details and who I am going to get married to. 2nd was a Credit Card authorization form where they charge $30 to print and post it to my address in India.

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting the Consular Section of the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.

In cases where the Indian Registrar of Marriages asks a Canadian citizen/resident for a "no objection certificate" or a "certificate of marital status" or a “Domicile Certificate” from their High Commission, this office issues a "Statement in lieu of Certification of Non-Impediment to Marriage abroad".

You may email the completed attached forms along with a copy of your passport. We will be able to send you the scanned copy of the letter by email. The hard copy can be posted to your address in India. The fee for the service is CAD30.00, which can be paid by credit card, using the attached authorisation form.

We hope you will find this information of assistance.

EmmaR

Dec 8, 2017
Good thing I revisit threads where I posted if I don't do that I wouldn't have been notified of a reply.

Anyway,

I sent my query to india.consular@international.gc.ca and this was their reply. They also gave me forms to fill. 1st form was basic details and who I am going to get married to. 2nd was a Credit Card authorization form where they charge $30 to print and post it to my address in India.

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting the Consular Section of the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.

In cases where the Indian Registrar of Marriages asks a Canadian citizen/resident for a "no objection certificate" or a "certificate of marital status" or a “Domicile Certificate” from their High Commission, this office issues a "Statement in lieu of Certification of Non-Impediment to Marriage abroad".

You may email the completed attached forms along with a copy of your passport. We will be able to send you the scanned copy of the letter by email. The hard copy can be posted to your address in India. The fee for the service is CAD30.00, which can be paid by credit card, using the attached authorisation form.

We hope you will find this information of assistance.
Thank you! That's helpful!
One more question, maybe asking it again. Did you arrange the single status certificate from Canada as well?

phoenix232

Apr 3, 2015
Thank you! That's helpful!
One more question, maybe asking it again. Did you arrange the single status certificate from Canada as well?
There is no single status certificate. All consular gave me was "Statement in lieu of Certification of Non-Impediment to Marriage abroad" where it is mentioned that Canada doesn't provide this ( "THIS" I mean the single certificate, you wouldn't get it ).

for reference

EmmaR

Dec 8, 2017
There is no single status certificate. All consular gave me was "Statement in lieu of Certification of Non-Impediment to Marriage abroad" where it is mentioned that Canada doesn't provide this ( "THIS" I mean the single certificate, you wouldn't get it ).

for reference

ok, thanks a lot for clarification!

RJ

Mar 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14 May 09
Doc's Request.
25 June 09
AOR Received.
14 May 09
File Transfer...
25 June 09
Med's Request
28 Nov 09
Med's Done....
15 Dec 09
Interview........
Waived !!
Passport Req..
28 Nov 09
VISA ISSUED...
15 Feb 2010
Hello,
I am a Canadian citizen (Born in India) living in Canada and planning to marry an Indian in India and the in my town Registrar office asked me to produce Single status certificate but I know we will not get that from Canada but i can apply Statement In Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage. I was reading in Canada govt website and its says that we need to apply to " Global Affairs Canada" so I am little confused should i apply to "india.consular@international.gc.ca " or Global Affairs Canada" Ottawa? Any advice will be much appreciated, thank you!