+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

State Side PhD/Post-doc Looking to Immigrate to Canada

StateSidePhD

Aug 8, 2012
Hi all, Let me start by saying I'm very new to this discussion board but am glad something like this exists. My questions are pretty general at the moment (or maybe they're specific, I'm not sure), so I hope that I am posting this in the right place. If I didn't, please have some patience. :)

I am a US citizen, born and raised in the states. I'm currently working as a post-doctoral research fellow (1 year of experience as post-doc) in a bio-medical field. I've traveled to Canada several times and have decided that I'd like to plan for a career in Ontario, Quebec, BC, or Alberta when my post-doc in the States expires (I have another year to go - yes I know that might be awhile away, but can't hurt to start looking early; especially with all the questions). Let's assume that, after preliminary interviews with a Canadian company/university, I would be offered a position. This is where my questions begin:

Who is responsible for the visa application/immigration forms if I am hired by a company? (I'm assuming they would have to file the paperwork in support of bringing a non-Canadian citizen aboard). I ask this because I'm wondering if there is any paperwork I, myself, can start in the interim to get the ball rolling (even though I don't have an offer letter yet).

If I have an offer letter, is the process expedited more quickly? I ask because I think the current processing time for the US is 28 months (yikes); so if there is no difference in processing time, then I need to get my contacts established (Even though I have about a year left at my current position).

How does the renewal process work in such a case? Do I require continued sponsorship from the "company" and who files the renewal paperwork?

These question are the most important at the moment because I do not anticipate moving to Canada without some sort of job offer lined up. It seems that most of the information I'm finding is in regard to immigrating as a skilled worker first, then finding a job. I'm trying to do the opposite; get a job offer, then immigrate (I feel this is a little more secure way of going about it).

Lastly, if there are any other post-docs or professionals/scientists that are reading this and have been through the process of applying and immigrating from the States, your advice is most appreciated!

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
since your goal is getting a job first, then you don't really need to worry about the rest of your questions. Once you get the job, the company/school will initiate all the paperwork. here is what you can easily find online with regard to this
Your employer must take the following steps before applying for a Canadian Work Visa:

1) Your employer must first confirm your position is suitable to apply for a Canadian Work Permit by making an application to Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC)

2) Your employer must then offer you the confirmed position

3)Your employer must then make an application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for a Work Permit for Canada.