+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting the PR Process While Living Overseas

ComingHome

May 7, 2019
Hi everyone,

First time poster here with a question (or questions) that have probably been asked so many times you could throw up an entire raw potato.

A little background first - My wife and I first met online in 2015, after beginning and online relationship, she moved to Canada from Australia to be with me while on a working holiday visa. During that time, we had our names on joint leases, bank accounts, memberships, clubs etc. We combine our affairs and our lives together during that time. Prior to her visa expiring, we applied for me to gain Australian PR so we could live there. We were married during the processing of my Australian PR and moved here last year.

Fast forward a year and a little and we are missing Canada, a lot. We are exploring the option of coming home and aren't quite sure where to begin. Having gone through the process for Australia, we know how hard it is and what types of evidence to apply to our application.

I was just wondering if anyone had advice, information packet or some kind of guide to help us along.

Again, I know this stuff has been asked 1000s of times, but you don't really know until you ask.

Thanks everyone.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

First time poster here with a question (or questions) that have probably been asked so many times you could throw up an entire raw potato.

A little background first - My wife and I first met online in 2015, after beginning and online relationship, she moved to Canada from Australia to be with me while on a working holiday visa. During that time, we had our names on joint leases, bank accounts, memberships, clubs etc. We combine our affairs and our lives together during that time. Prior to her visa expiring, we applied for me to gain Australian PR so we could live there. We were married during the processing of my Australian PR and moved here last year.

Fast forward a year and a little and we are missing Canada, a lot. We are exploring the option of coming home and aren't quite sure where to begin. Having gone through the process for Australia, we know how hard it is and what types of evidence to apply to our application.

I was just wondering if anyone had advice, information packet or some kind of guide to help us along.

Again, I know this stuff has been asked 1000s of times, but you don't really know until you ask.

Thanks everyone.
Start here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html.

Reactions: ComingHome

ComingHome

May 7, 2019
Thanks. I had a quick look there, it doesn't seem as straight forward as I would have thought. The Australian PR was quite complicated, but from the looks of it the Canadian one is far worse.

Edit: I should clarify that I suppose. When doing our PR for Australia, we submitted PDF forms of our evidence, like our international trips, our shared leases, bank statements etc. I didn't see much in the way of that while I looked at it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks. I had a quick look there, it doesn't seem as straight forward as I would have thought. The Australian PR was quite complicated, but from the looks of it the Canadian one is far worse.
It is a lot but it is generally straightforward. Just follow the guide and checklist.

Luthien

Star Member
Jul 25, 2018
AOR Received.
23-05-2019
Edit: I should clarify that I suppose. When doing our PR for Australia, we submitted PDF forms of our evidence, like our international trips, our shared leases, bank statements etc. I didn't see much in the way of that while I looked at it.
The application is going to be sent in paper form. You will need to provide evidence that your relationship is genuine. If you have kids together, it will be enough to copy their birth certificates and prove that you are living together (same address, and also joint accounts). If you don't have kids I believe you also need to submit other proof such as pictures. I didn't look into that too much because we do have kids. Anyways, most of these documents are asked for on the checklist so maybe you should go ahead and read through that first.
Since you are living in Australia right now you will also need to send some proof of your intention to return to Canada. You can search for threads on this forum, there are plenty of them discussing how exactly to prove that you will move back.