+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting outland PR but moving to Canada during process?

gbozz1

Feb 23, 2019
Hi,

I know similar questions have been answered but it would put me at ease to specify to our situation.

We are in Korea and I'm a Canadian with a Korean wife and two kids (both who have Canadian citizenship and Korean citizenship).

We recently decided to move to Canada this summer and I need to get moving on my wife's PR. So we will start outland PR process next week after couriering docs.

We want to book flight tickets for a summer departure. Wife is visa-exempt and would be able to stay for 6 months before needing to return (or extending to 12 months).

So here's my first question: As her sponsor, what do I need to show to the border agent that she is just visiting for now (despite the PR in process) to help us choose a house in Canada and will go back to coordinate the move?

-Proof of return airfare
-Declaration of financial support by me, her sponsor? Do I just write this declaration in a hand-written or typed form plus indicate my earnings?
-Ties to Korea? Our stuff is being moved into a relatives house after we finish our housing contract in Korea. So no address with our name on it. Would I just have to show bank and credit card statements in Korea as ties?

2nd question: Would it better to fly after receiving the AOR and SA and then explaining the above at the border?

Thanks so much for any advice :(

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
- proof of return airfare - always a good idea.
- bank statements or some such documents indicating the amount of funds available for supporting her would be good. Chances are, they wouldn't ask to see them, but it's good to have just in case. They may ask if you are employed, or what your job is.
- I suppose you could bring bank and credit card statements, just in case. Again, not very likely that they would ask.

It Might be better to fly after receiving AOR and SA. Hard to say, though.

One basic thing - everyone here says "don't offer more information than asked, but answer all questions honestly and be prepared to show documents to back up your statements" and I believe that is true. The border agent doesn't want to hear your life story or have a whole pile of miscellaneous documents placed in front of him/her.

My personal experience - I'm Japanese (so also visa exempt) and applied Outland. My husband was in Canada at the time. After AOR and SA I went to Canada. I had a (refundable) return ticket, which they did not ask to see, but they asked me the date of my planned departure. They asked what my husband did for a living and where he lived. That was it. I didn't show the AOR or SA. I had them with me, so that if they questioned if I was actually going to leave at the end of 6 months' time, I could show it and say that I've already applied to legally live permanently in Canada and I have no desire to jeopardize my application by doing something illegal now.

I don't think there's anything suspicious about your wife helping you to find a house to live and going back to Korea to oversee the move after she gets PR. So I don't think you have anything to worry about, really.