+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

starting off...Irish wanting to move to Canada

AngelaT

Feb 19, 2010
Hi,
So I'm sure I will sound dumb asking these questions.
Me and My boyfriend would love to move to Canada. We just don't know much about it as neither of us have ever lived in a different Country.
I was planning on maybe going over there as a visitor for a few weeks, handing out c.v's etc and trying to get advice on a finding employers to take us on and starting from there?

From what I know, we wouldn't need Visa's to travel there for a few weeks?

I have done research etc but find all the sites no help as most of them are saying different things.
If anyone could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ang

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AngelaT said:
Me and My boyfriend would love to move to Canada. We just don't know much about it as neither of us have ever lived in a different Country.
What makes you choose Canada?

If you have never lived anywhere else, you may find it a very BIG move - visit first, because mere words cannot describe Canada properly.

AngelaT said:
I was planning on maybe going over there as a visitor for a few weeks, handing out c.v's etc and trying to get advice on a finding employers to take us on and starting from there?
Obviously your chances depend upon your skills. You will find that is Canada not an easy place to "get into", the job market can also be difficult.

AngelaT said:
From what I know, we wouldn't need Visa's to travel there for a few weeks?
Visa information, see exempt countries: http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/visit/visas.asp

AngelaT

Feb 19, 2010
Well its not something I just thought of in a minute, its been a dream of mine.
I am a Graphic Designer, and a qualified Hairdresser, but am only 21 so don't have as much experience as others.

and to be honest I'm ready for a BIG move.

From what Ive read it does seem to be a very hard country to get into but we'd regret it if we didn't try.

Thanks very much for your help.

Hope42010

Star Member
Oct 15, 2009
Brazil
Hi Angela,

I have lived in different countries for the last 15 years; here is what I have learned:

It will take you about 4 years to adapt to the new lifestyle, because English is your mother language adapting in Canada will be easier for you.
Your line of work is not very well paid look at http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/intro_eng.aspx to start with it.
Living costs are high if you are not working but Euro does give you some leverage, rent a small apartment of room on a temporary bases find it here http://www.kijiji.ca/ as well many job offers and so on.
Remember, while you are in vacations all is nice and cheap… look to your pockets and to your objectives prior expending money, junk food and entertainment can cost a lot.
You guys are young and full of hopes; maybe want to move out of the family ties more then out of the country. Be real and honest above all.
Do visit the country for a least a month or two if you can, pack light so you have mobility but behave as if you were just arriving for a new life this way you get a more realistic feeling. Also, remember one state is different then the other do not assume generally.
Visit the immigration site at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp read it thoroughly as well this forum. DON’T BE LAISE READ IT. 
Ask questions and be honest, have faith and be polite, look at the mirror and ask yourself if this is what you want and don’t waste your time. Go for it!

For the last, the difference between a winner and a loser is how hard you work on your dream.

Good luck!

colsy

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
To be honest Ang, don't listen too much to others. You know in your heart and head what you have to do and you should go for it.

Four years settling in country is nonsense, it could take weeks, months, years or never. Moving to Canada will not be the hardest thing you will be faced with in your life.

Spread your wings, live life to the full and make sure you are comfortable with any decison you make. Positive or negative, enjoy every day. It is an adventure. If it is what you want go for it, just do your research and some planning before you go. You will be fine!

I wish you all the best!

p.s If possible keep some money aside as a get out if things don't go to plan... WHICH in truth I can't see..

ella19

Aug 8, 2009
go to www.usit.ie - they are a student and youth travel company based in Ireland. They are authorised by the Canadian govt to give out working holiday visa's to canada for 1 year (note you dont have to be a student, under 35's can apply too). The program opens once a year and spaces fill up fast as there is a limited number of visas that can be given out but you can go on a waiting list, or wait til next year. It would be a good way of seeing if you like Canada and you would be allowed to work for the year and live in any city.

the range

May 24, 2010
Hi there OP,

As mentioned, USIT.ie is the place to go - they are the sole Irish agent for the distribution of visas for Canada for those under 35 and students - although this may change in future years. You might find paddysaway.com useful for tips on Canada - it's an expat site for those going to or living in Canada or Australia and has a forum too.

Good luck!