+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting driving license from scratch (Toronto - car)

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am about to stat the process to get the driving license from scratch, in Toronto, so basically by the official handbook and start studying for the G1 written test.

I have a few questions for those who went through the same experience:

a. How long did it take you to pass the G1 test, from the moment you started studying? (of course it will be different from person to person, I am just trying to understand the timeline roughly; for instance in France where I come from, the driving license process is well known for being a nightmare).

b. About the "Novice Driver" Ministry approved course. I understand this shortens the waiting time to be able to take the G2 drive test, from 12 down to 8 months. However, should I take this course before, or after I pass the G1 test? This is unclear to me.

c. Once I get the G1 license, that will be driving practice time. Being a G1 license holder, we can't drive without another driver who has a minimum of 4 years experience. Since my wife and I are new immigrants, we don't really know much people at the moment in Canada, who could help with that. So is going to driving school the only option? Any tips to keep the total cost reasonable?

Thank you everyone,
Matt

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Hi everyone,

I am about to stat the process to get the driving license from scratch, in Toronto, so basically by the official handbook and start studying for the G1 written test.

a. How long did it take you to pass the G1 test, from the moment you started studying? (of course it will be different from person to person, I am just trying to understand the timeline roughly; for instance in France where I come from, the driving license process is well known for being a nightmare).

b. About the "Novice Driver" Ministry approved course. I understand this shortens the waiting time to be able to take the G2 drive test, from 12 down to 8 months. However, should I take this course before, or after I pass the G1 test? This is unclear to me.

c. Once I get the G1 license, that will be driving practice time. Being a G1 license holder, we can't drive without another driver who has a minimum of 4 years experience. Since my wife and I are new immigrants, we don't really know much people at the moment in Canada, who could help with that. So is going to driving school the only option? Any tips to keep the total cost reasonable?

Thank you everyone,
Matt
a. Totally depends on you. Could be anything from a few hours to a few days. Most of the stuff are basic knowledge like road sings, etc.
b. I suggest you do take this course. It pays for itself and then some more since you get decent discount on car insurance for up to 3 years. You can enroll to this course once you have your G1. Not before that.
c. Yes, you are correct. Driving school is sort of your only option. It costs in the range of 500-600$ for 20 hours of classroom session followed by 10 hours of on road training with instructor, both of which are the minimum MTO requirement.

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
a. Totally depends on you. Could be anything from a few hours to a few days. Most of the stuff are basic knowledge like road sings, etc.
b. I suggest you do take this course. It pays for itself and then some more since you get decent discount on car insurance for up to 3 years. You can enroll to this course once you have your G1. Not before that.
c. Yes, you are correct. Driving school is sort of your only option. It costs in the range of 500-600$ for 20 hours of classroom session followed by 10 hours of on road training with instructor, both of which are the minimum MTO requirement.
Thank you alok - did you buy the official MTO handbook to study your G1, or did you use another support?

Edit: another question; the normal cost of the Novice Driver course, is around 500 dolalrs from what I can see?

Thanks!

Last edited:

rpk_sngh

Jul 11, 2017
App. Filed.......
08-06-2017
AOR Received.
08-06-2017
Med's Done....
07-07-2017
Hi everyone,

Thank you everyone,
Matt
If you are planning to give the test in Toronto, there is a website called "apnatoronto.com". You can check this out for G1 Practice test. It has some samples for G1 test. If you go through them properly. You will definitely be able to pass the G1. And the most important thing, it is free. You will save your $16 for handbook.

Reactions: Jakev

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Hi everyone,

Thank you everyone,
Matt
Do you have s driver's license from your home country ?

If so, you can go directly for the full G, you don't need to take all the steps .

Reactions: Jtahir

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
If you are planning to give the test in Toronto, there is a website called "apnatoronto.com". You can check this out for G1 Practice test. It has some samples for G1 test. If you go through them properly. You will definitely be able to pass the G1. And the most important thing, it is free. You will save your $16 for handbook.
Thank you for the tip, I will have a look at this website!

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
Do you have s driver's license from your home country ?

If so, you can go directly for the full G, you don't need to take all the steps .
No I don't unfortunately. I lived in very large cities for the last 10 years, where driving license was rather unnecessary.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Thank you alok - did you buy the official MTO handbook to study your G1, or did you use another support?

Edit: another question; the normal cost of the Novice Driver course, is around 500 dolalrs from what I can see?

Thanks!
In case if you are yet to get your licence, G1.ca is a nice resource to practice for the test. There is no need to buy MTO handbook as all information is available online at numerous websites.

You are write about the cost. The driving course costs roughly 500-600.

vjosi

Jun 23, 2017
tirane
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
LANDED..........
18-10-2018
Hi, I really appreciate your help with this question. My husband had an american driving licence which expired in 2011 and was not renewed has he did not live in America anymore. Can he use this driving licence in order to skip some of the steps for the driving licence? Or he will have to start from scratch?

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
In case if you are yet to get your licence, G1.ca is a nice resource to practice for the test. There is no need to buy MTO handbook as all information is available online at numerous websites.

You are write about the cost. The driving course costs roughly 500-600.
Thanks Alok. I got the book anyway, since I am new to driving in general, it doesn't harm having all security info etc..