+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting a new life with my Thai GF

hollafame

Aug 6, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am originally from Montreal, Quebec and I have been living in Bangkok for about 6 years. My Thai girlfriend and I are wanting to start a new life back in my home of Montreal, Canada to be closer to my parents and family (and possibly starting our own family there).

I was wondering a few things:
1) What is the best and fastest way of doing it? (I heard that getting my Thai gf a Tourist visa then marrying her inland would be the best)
2) Approximately how long would it take to do everything?
3) What would be the costs involved like including immigration lawyers and what have you.
4) I am not too fussed about the institute of marriage and she isn't either so I have read also about getting a common law visa is possible
5) She also wants to improve her English so she wants to go to school for that. Can she also be able to come here on a student visa?
6) I have also heard that Quebec can help with some education programs for new immigrants? Does anyone have info about that?

As you can see, we are quite flexible in getting this visa so I was wondering some thoughts on certain options that are available to me at this point.

Thank you so much in advance.

A Canuck in Thailand

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. You may struggle getting her a TRV because she has to show strong ties to Thailand and a good reason to go to Canada as well as stuff like previous travel to other countries that require a visa like UK, US, etc If you can't get a TRV you can sponsor her outland while living in Thailand as long as you prove that you intend to return to Canada once she gets PR.
2. 12 months
3. You can do most of the paperwork yourself. Around $1500 if you do it yourself.
4. Yes you can sponsor under common law if you can prove that you have both been living together for 12 months continuously.
5. She may have difficulty getting a student visa to just study English. She would have to pay international fees as well.
5.Quebec offers French language classes to some immigrants.