+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting a business/IEC Visa

OliP16

Jun 24, 2016
Hello

I entered Canada about a year ago on a 2 year IEC Visa. I have lived with my girlfriend since then who is originally from Quebec.
I am now eligible to apply for permanent residence due to common law but it is a long process.

I/we are looking to start a business but my research tells me I need to be a permanent resident to start a business in Canada.
So if I wanted to start one before I got permanent residency is it legal/allwoed if my girlfriend registers the business under her name as she is a citizen but I run/control the business. I'm guessing a law expert would know the full details but any tips/advice would be appreciated as to what my next steps could be.

Thank You in advance

dubaitotoronto

Star Member
Oct 28, 2011
In Alberta Permanent Residency is not required for starting a business. I am on student visa (I can work 20 hours per week) , I have my own business with approved Business Licence from City of Calgary.

Check with the City Hall Office (Municipal Office) where you want to start business, they will tell you the documents required for opening a business.