+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Start Family Sponsorship while Family is in Canada on Super Visa?

iogurt

May 12, 2013
Hey everyone,

A few things to know for my questions to make sense:
- I've been a Permanent Resident in Canada for 5 years. I've lived in Canada since 2008 (work permit for first 5 years).
- My parents want to come visit me for an extended period of time.
- We're all from Switzerland (visa-exempt and visitors are allowed to stay up to 6 months in Canada)
- We all fulfill the necessary conditions for Super Visa (income, health, ...)

Our plan:
1. My parents come to Canada in April 2019, entering without visa.
2. While they are here, we will apply for a Super Visa. They'll have to send the passports to Paris and do the medical check-up. I've checked with panel-approved physicians here in Canada and they say they can do the medical check while my parents are already in Canada. We just wanted to make sure physicians are allowed to do that with people that are already in Canada. I'd imagine for 90%+ of Super Visa applicants do their check-up in their home country.
3. Once all papers are back from Paris, we'll do a flag-pole run down to the States and come back to have it approved.
4. Once approved, we'll start the Family Sponsorship. Backlog for these are around 6 years right now.

Questions:
1. As for Super Visa application, I saw a lot of posts that said that you CAN apply for a Super Visa from within Canada. But sometimes I also read that you have to apply for a Super Visa from your home country. Can someone that is 100% sure about this give me an answer?
2. Are we allowed to start the Family Sponsorship program, while my parents are in Canada? If everything goes well, they will be here for up to 10 years, we'll renew Super Visa every 2 years for another 2 years.
3. Can anyone see any problems with this plan?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Couple of issues

1. no entry is guaranteed for 6 months whether it’s a supervisa, eTA or a TRV. CBSA will make that determination at the time of entry.
  2. Super visas need to be applied for from outside of Canada. Home country is preferable as it improves ties to the home country.
  3. Assuming you are successful with your super visa plan, PGP sponsorship only occurs at specific times of the year (January historically). And your application needs to be amongst those chosen. You could possibly wait 6 years (or forever) waiting for your application to be chosen. It’s all a matter of luck.
  4. The chances of your parents being allowed to stay indefinitely until you are chosen (even for 6 years) is slim. At some point IRCC and CBSA will likely want them to leave. Only the first entry is good for 2 years. If IRCC feels you parents are abusing the visa privilege, they will reject extensions and send them home, worst case cancelling the visa.
  5. They will be responsible for their health care costs (insurance only covers emergencies) for the entire time they wait. A quick trip to the hospital for the flu can cost thousands of dollars. Something more serious can cost millions.

Last edited:
Reactions: iogurt

iogurt

May 12, 2013
Couple of issues

1. no entry is guaranteed for 6 months whether it’s a supervisa, eTA or a TRV. CBSA will make that determination at the time of entry.
  2. Super visas need to be applied for from outside of Canada. Home country is preferable as it improves ties to the home country.
  3. Assuming you are successful with your super visa plan, PGP sponsorship only occurs at specific times of the year (January historically). And your application needs to be amongst those chosen. You could possibly wait 6 years (or forever) waiting for your application to be chosen. It’s all a matter of luck.
  4. The chances of your parents being allowed to stay indefinitely until you are chosen (even for 6 years) is slim. At some point IRCC and CBSA will likely want them to leave. Only the first entry is good for 2 years. If IRCC feels you parents are abusing the visa privilege, they will reject extensions and send them home, worst case cancelling the visa.
  5. They will be responsible for their health care costs (insurance only covers emergencies) for the entire time they wait. A quick trip to the hospital for the flu can cost thousands of dollars. Something more serious can cost millions.
Thanks for your detailed reply. Looks like we'll have to go over the books again on some stuff!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If it were me, I’d apply for PGP this month if you qualify. It doesn’t necessarily take 6 years to be approved. You can apply for the super visa at the same time.

Reactions: iogurt

iogurt

May 12, 2013
If it were me, I’d apply for PGP this month if you qualify. It doesn’t necessarily take 6 years to be approved. You can apply for the super visa at the same time.
I just checked processing times and you're right, it says 20-24 months. I could swear a while back it said 6 years. That's awesome, if we get a Super Visa approved for 2 years, that might be enough to get the Family Sponsoring done. Only thing is that it depends on luck if you're chosen or not. You basically send in your intent to apply and then they choose a number of applicants that then can apply. Fingers crossed :)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Couple of issues

One minor correction. Super Visa allows up to 2 years on each entry now, not just for the first time.