+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stage 2--Very flawed and worrying: Working Holiday Visa (Canada)

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Hi everyone,

An additional procedure has been put in place for Australians, and perhaps other countries too, who are applying for a Working Holiday Visa (Open Work Permit). Namely, now there is a stage 2 involving the MyCIC account and 'Application to Change Conditions, Extend my stay or Remain as a Worker' form.

This new procedure appears to create a very worrying problem as it squeezes a much tighter or impossible deadline for those who are intending to re-apply for their visa while working in Canada. Allow me to elaborate further- To re-apply, we must wait for a maximum of 12 weeks until the visa expires. Let's just say we pay Canada Post to send the application and it arrives to the Consulate General of Canada of Sydney in 2 days....via expensive express mail. The visa can take from 2 weeks to 8 weeks to be completed by the Sydney office. Let's just say it ONLY took two weeks, therefore we have 10 weeks left. Now stage 2! Completing the MCIC account and the online applications. I checked the website and it appears to say 69 days. Please correct me if I am wrong!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

69 days is ten weeks!!!!!

In the back of my mind I'm thinking it could be the last possibility in the table (New Temporary Resident Visa- Processing Time), 14 days but I called up CIC and they said 'that in no way applies to me, it applies to Mexicans crossing the border'....something along the lines of that.

2 years ago, all you had to do was submit the application form along with other documents to the Sydney office to receive the Letter of Introduction. Now you submit the application to the Sydney office and have to wait for another process to take place before you get your LOI!

In conclusion, I think they messed up by putting this 2nd stage in and not considering the processing times.

Correct me if I'm wrong