Spouse's pre wedding TRV

FReza

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Category........
FSW
Greetings,

I have a query hoping anyone can help me with it:

I am a Permanent Resident and have been living in Canada for 1 year. My wife had applied for TRV before marriage (to visit her brother) but never visited Canada. The TRV is still valid and stamped in her old passport (Passport changed after marriage). Can she travel with be to Canada using her TRV, keeping in mind her details and scenarios have changed since the time she was granted TRV.

Thank you in advance :)

Singh_299652

Star Member
Apr 28, 2018
Greetings,

I am a Permanent Resident and have been living in Canada for 1 year. My wife had applied for TRV before marriage (to visit her brother) but never visited Canada. The TRV is still valid and stamped in her old passport (Passport changed after marriage). Can she travel with be to Canada using her TRV, keeping in mind her details and scenarios have changed since the time she was granted TRV.

If she has old passport and it has validity then she can travel. But cannot travel with new passport without stamp. For USA its possible, just carry old passport with new one, unfortunately not for canada.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Greetings,

Yes, she can travel with both passports + a copy of the marriage certificate + any affidavit provided to the passport authorities for the change in name

Reactions: FReza

FReza

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Category........
FSW
Yes, she can travel with both passports + a copy of the marriage certificate + any affidavit provided to the passport authorities for the change in name

Thank you for your reply :)

Which government agency looks into this process? I would like to call them up and double check, as the last thing i want is any surprise upon landing.
Thank you again for your help :)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Which government agency looks into this process? I would like to call them up and double check, as the last thing i want is any surprise upon landing.
Thank you again for your help :)
You may want to speak with a CBSA official or you may email a visa office. This is a common situation.

Your wife's TRV continues to remain valid even though she has a new passport + she only needs to bring documents to prove she is the same person (i.e. marriage certificate + affidavit for the name change).

Here's the confirmation (Page 73, Section 13.18):
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf

13.18 Valid visas in expired passports
Visa officers will not put a visa in an expired document and will not issue a visa for a period surpassing the expiry date of the passport or travel document. Occasionally, documents containing valid visas are cancelled or replaced. If a valid visa inside an expired document is presented at the POE along with a valid passport or travel document, the visa is considered valid

Reactions: FReza