+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouses or common-law partners of full-time students, C42

maksal786

Nov 13, 2014
Hello,

I need help to interpret the rules in regards to "Spouse Open Work Permit of Full Time Students". I am an international student currently enrolled at Humber College for Post-Graduate Certificate program(Study permit expires in 31 Aug 2014). My wife applied for the Open Work Permit (based on my full time status as student) at his Visa Office. She got refused for below reason.

"You have not demonstrated that you come within the exceptions under section 186 of the regulations
exempting you from the requirement to obtain a work permit or that your employment in Canada comes
within the exceptions to section 203 of the regulations. As a result, your offer of employment must be the
subject of an economic effect determination before a work permit can be issued to you. Your employer in
Canada should contact the local office of the Department of Human Resources and Skills Development
Canada to begin this process."

I digged in and found out the regulation under which such visa is issued. I found below. However, i am confused whether the below regulation currently applies only for college/universities in Quebec province or all the provinces in Canada ?

Pls Advice

Note: The provisions outlined for C-42 and C-43 only apply to students engaged in full-time studies at a Canadian university, community college, CEGEP, publicly funded trade/technical school or at a private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.
Spouses or common-law partners of certain foreign students are allowed to accept employment in the general labour market without the need for an LMIA. This exemption is intended for spouses who are not, themselves, full-time students.

Eligibility

Applicants must provide evidence that they are the spouse or common-law partner of a holder of a study permit who is a full-time student at:

a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university or collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec,
a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently, only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify), or
Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
Spouses or common-law partners of full time students are eligible for open or open/restricted work permits, depending on whether or not a medical examination has been passed. There is no need for an offer of employment before issuing a work permit.

Validity

Work permits may be issued with a validity date to coincide with the spouse’s study permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Based on the refusal, it sounds like you didn't provide enough evidence with your wife's application that you are in school full time. Also, in your original post you say that your study permit expires in August 2014. Do you mean 2015?

maksal786

Nov 13, 2014
scylla said:
Based on the refusal, it sounds like you didn't provide enough evidence with your wife's application that you are in school full time. Also, in your original post you say that your study permit expires in August 2014. Do you mean 2015?
Thanks scylla for your reply.

Yes, I just provided only my study permit which is valid till Aug 2015. I didn't provide any admission/enrollment letter.

Do you think i should re-apply with this missed out document ?

Also, i am confused whether the below regulation currently applies only for college/universities in Quebec province or all the provinces in Canada ?

Note: The provisions outlined for C-42 and C-43 only apply to students engaged in full-time studies at a Canadian university, community college, CEGEP, publicly funded trade/technical school or at a private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.
Spouses or common-law partners of certain foreign students are allowed to accept employment in the general labour market without the need for an LMIA. This exemption is intended for spouses who are not, themselves, full-time students.

Eligibility

Applicants must provide evidence that they are the spouse or common-law partner of a holder of a study permit who is a full-time student at:

a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university or collège d'enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec,
a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently, only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify), or
Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
Spouses or common-law partners of full time students are eligible for open or open/restricted work permits, depending on whether or not a medical examination has been passed. There is no need for an offer of employment before issuing a work permit.

Validity

Work permits may be issued with a validity date to coincide with the spouse's study permit.

Riyas Siraj

May 27, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
ITA - Apr 05, 2017
AOR Received.
05-31-2017
IELTS Request
IELTS - 8.0
Med's Done....
08-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-28-2017
Hi,

I also got rejection for my wife's SOWP last friday. The reason was purpose of visit and assets. I have instructed my agent to request for the immigration notes. I am planning to reapply soon after I receive the notes. Can you suggest what should I be doing different in terms of the application to be submitted.

Regards
Riyas Siraj

maksal786

Nov 13, 2014
Riyas Siraj said:
Hi,

I also got rejection for my wife's SOWP last friday. The reason was purpose of visit and assets. I have instructed my agent to request for the immigration notes. I am planning to reapply soon after I receive the notes. Can you suggest what should I be doing different in terms of the application to be submitted.

Regards
Riyas Siraj
Is your wife applying on your dependent as Student or Worker ?

shau27

Jan 7, 2015
Hello Maksal 786,

I am also an international student studying at Humber college and planing to apply for SOWP. I had few queries for which i wanted to have a word with you. Can you please provide me your email address?

Thanks & Regards

maksal786

Nov 13, 2014
shau27 said:
Hello Maksal 786,

I am also an international student studying at Humber college and planing to apply for SOWP. I had few queries for which i wanted to have a word with you. Can you please provide me your email address?

Thanks & Regards
send me the mail at maksal786@gmail.com

Herris1218

Jun 18, 2020
My visa got refused. My wife is on student visa and I had applied for open work permit. The reason for refusal is as follows:-
  • · Spouses and common-law partners of full-time students in a program at some institutions in Canada can apply for a generic (open) work permit. However, the institution your spouse or common-law partner is attending is not an institution that is qualified u nder this category.
  • · You have not adequately demonstrated that you meet the requirements of a spousal open work permit pursuant to section 205(c)(ii) of the Regulations.

• Can anyone guide me on this so that I can reapply.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My visa got refused. My wife is on student visa and I had applied for open work permit. The reason for refusal is as follows:-
  • · Spouses and common-law partners of full-time students in a program at some institutions in Canada can apply for a generic (open) work permit. However, the institution your spouse or common-law partner is attending is not an institution that is qualified u nder this category.
  • · You have not adequately demonstrated that you meet the requirements of a spousal open work permit pursuant to section 205(c)(ii) of the Regulations.

Where is your wife studying?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My wife is studying in western community college, Surrey , Vancouver, BC
Did she always study there are did she ever study English? How long does she have left? Would really recommend ordering GCMS notes so you can see why you were denied. An SOWP is not guaranteed for spouses of internarional students.

Star Member
Jun 15, 2020
Thinking of taking admission for my wife in western community college. So please let me know .. what's the result

Star Member
Jun 15, 2020

Hi
Am applying for business management or accounting course for my wife in western community college. Later thinking of applying to sowp.

Which course did your wife Persuing.

One of the consultant told me that Accounting course has eligiblity for PGWP. So am thinking of applying to wcc in accounting.

Plz let me know which course your wife is Persuing in wcc

Thanks