+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse's child doesnt have a birth certificate

ashley1234

Apr 2, 2024
Hi there,

I am a Canadian citizen trying to sponsor my husband from another country for a permanent residency. He has a child age 8 with a woman from his home country. The daughter will not be accompanying him to Canada. He is not on good terms with his ex and is unable to get her birth certificate. Can he still be approved with a letter of explanation as to why he can't get her birth certificate ? Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi there,

I am a Canadian citizen trying to sponsor my husband from another country for a permanent residency. He has a child age 8 with a woman from his home country. The daughter will not be accompanying him to Canada. He is not on good terms with his ex and is unable to get her birth certificate. Can he still be approved with a letter of explanation as to why he can't get her birth certificate ? Thank you
She will have to complete the medical even if non accompanying. Why is he unable to get birth certificate? If on good terms then he should be able to get all documentation.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi there,

You still need documents (birth certificate for example) and the child still need to go through medical (and security + background check but those are simple/short for children).
If your husband try every possible way and failed to get these done, (doesn't have to be in good terms with his ex. Just need communication) there is an option to exclude that child.
BUT if the child is excluded, he can NEVER sponsor this child (it's forever). This will delay the sponsorship application since IRCC wants to make sure that the PA tried very hard to get the information and is unable to do so. This is very different from non-accompanying. So ask your husband to try his best.